cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BCM5709 Boot From iSCSI SAN

tnelson-vpi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C200 M2 server with BCM5709 ethernet card,  I am trying to find the drivers to load windows server 2008 R2.   I am trying to install to an iSCSI SAN, the LUNS and volumes are all configured as they were just running VMWare,  the iSCSI boot is setup on the 5709 card, just dont have drivers to load at the "where to do you want to install windows" screen.  have tried all the drivers I can find on the Cisco site.  any suggestions.

6 Replies 6

First, thanks for the reply.   I did find that documentation and I have the driver disk.  There are no drivers that

would work off of the driver CD, no matter what I tried it never saw the iSCSI volume.   Finally found the information

and working drivers from the DELL web site

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/broadcom/r125875/en/iscsi.htm

This procedure and drivers provided by DELL worked perfectly.

Thomas Nelson

Sr. Systems Engineer

Thanks for sharing the resolution.

Just to clarify, the driver got installed successfully but Windows was not able to list the block devices exported by iSCSI target ?

There was some issue where we need to click refresh option in the installer after installing driver and remounting Windows iso image for the devices to get listed in the screen.

Padma

The drivers that were avavilable on the driver CD were for Server 2003, which I did try to use, i was able to extract the driver set from the 2008 driver CAB file and they loaded but the iSCSI volume was never available.  Then i wore the refresh button out. 

Only when I used the drivers from DELL using the similar install procedure, loading the VBD driver and then the OIS driver was the iSCSI volume available for install (yes i had to switch back to the Windows Install CD from the KVM Console virtual Media)  

Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

We'll test this out internally and update the driver CD as necessary.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards,

Robert

I'm trying to boot a C200 M2 from a Broadcom 5709 card and an iSCSI target (NetApp FAS2020), I think it's more or less the same scenario as Thomas, but I haven't been able to find the Dell drivers to get it to work, I'm using the latest driver CD (Drivers-1.4(2)-ucs-cxxx-drivers.1.4.2) but I just can't get the LUN to appear in windows.

I see messages on the FAS2020 saying the LUN has been mounted when the server is starting up, but after windows is up I can't see it anymore, I've tried both the OIS and non-OIS installation methods. Could you point me to some documentation or alternate drivers?

I've already seen the UCS C series documentation roadmap but it's not specific to the 5709 card.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Esteban

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card