cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practice UCS with iSCSI Storage and Nexus (without iSCSI Boot from SAN) with Disjoint Layer 2?

Stefan Gruber
Level 1
Level 1

Best Practice UCS with iSCSI Storage and Nexus (without iSCSI Boot from SAN) with Disjoint Layer 2?

Hello how shoult I release an UCS iSCSI Storage Projekt over Nexus

-Is the only answer Disjoint Layer 2?

Pleass Help

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Stefan

What is the use case for disjoint vlans and iSCSI storage ? separate traffic from FI Northbound ? this would require separate physical links ?

As every server need access to iSCSI, you have to create separate vnics for this iSCSI vlans.

I would not take the extra effort to implement disjoint vlans for iSCSI.

Walter.

Hi Walter

We want a clean solution with iSCSI

The best way  i think are seperate ETH Ports on the Fabric interconnect who are going to the Nexus?.

Because the other sollution is:

If i have 4ETH Uplinks on each FI (2right 2left)
over this 4uplinks ETH and iSCSI traffic is going up over the same Connection,
And than i Cant Cable one right one left to the Nexus.
Than i have to Cable 4 left FI-a and 4 right FI-b like FC Cabeling

Hi Stefan

- even with disjoint vlans, links between vnics - IOM, and IOM - FI share iSCSI and Ethernet traffic

- you have 40g per FI which is a lot ! (I assume you implement vpc on the Nexus)

- iSCSI and/or FC: if you experience a bottleneck, its most likely IOPS not bandwidth.

- instead of disjoint vlans, you could also use static pinning ! see eg.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/configuring_lan_pin_groups.html

I Think about Lan Pin Groups yes.

For Example:

-FI-A Port 17/18/19/20 (one ETH Port Channel) Port17/18 are conect with NexusA and 19/10 are connectet with NexusB

-Same FI-B

-Can i create a "FI-A Lan Pin Group" with FI-A Ports 17/18 who works in an Port Channel

This Pin Group are only connectet with Nexus-A

-Same FI-B

And than i Pin the iSCSI vNics to this two Pin Groups and i don't have traffic to the wrong side?!

Is that above possible?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card