Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practices UCS and Netapp OnTap in vmware

Simone Felici
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to set up our UCS infrastructure to handle correctly Netapp NFS storage in a vmware environment (5.5 U1).

First of all, our setup:

1x UCS Chassis 5108 with some C series blade servers (M3 + M4)

2x Fabric Interconnect 6248 with firmware 2.2(3h)

FI are connected to two distribution routers (Cisco 6500) in switched mode with two 10GBit-SR per FI (total 4 uplinks)

Our Netapp OnTap (8 Cluser Mode) 8040 is connected with 4 uplinks the same way to the two Cisco 6500. It expose the NFS lun via one Storage Virtual Machine with one IP.

On UCS I've provisioned (via template) services profiles. The most important part is that any network service (i.e. management network, production network, backup network, storage network) is created twice, setting for every vNic as fabric-id, fabric A or fabric B. In this way, in example, I've for the storage network two nic as follow:

- NFS-A (via Fabric A)

- NFS-B (via Fabric B)

(this for every service).

So, from a vmware point of view, focusing only on the storage path, I've for every host one vSwitch with two network adapters (jumbo frames enabled and vaai Netapp + plugin (1.01-21) installed and working). The vSwitch has one vmkernel port to connect to the SVM and mount then the volume.

My first question is:

- it's correct to set the adapters in active/active (default load balancing) for the storage traffic or should I use another setup?

Is there a best practice to follow?

Thanks a lot!

Simon

1 Reply 1

nabil.netapp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Simon,

Have you looked at the FlexPod design and implementation guides? These are Cisco Validated Design documents developed by Cisco and NetApp, the documents details the implementation covering your questions.  

This is the landing page, pick the closest architecture that fits your environment and review the documents for best practices for Cisco UCS/Switches, NetApp and VMware.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise/data-center-designs-cloud-computing/fpplatforms.html#~VMware

HTH,

Nabil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card