cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

boot from san, array not seeing wwpn

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

I zoned in my wwpn on the fiber switches but the array is not seeing the wwpn. Is there anything that needs to be enabled on the bios of the blade server?

Boot orer is cdrom and then san boot

8 Replies 8

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

ok I guess I needed to add in the target. But I have four paths. how should i add those 4 targets in the boot policy?

whicch is secondary and which is primary?

I was able to install esxi on he lun. but after it reboots, it says no disk found. how can it boot from that lun?

Hello,

What is configured boot order in the service profile ? Can you just present single HBA to server and verify the boot ?

Please make sure that there are no typos in wwpn , LUN ID etc.

Also share the version of ESXI, UCSM , CNA adapter model.

Padma

Tony,

Which array do you have in your environment.  From the symtoms it sounds like an Active/Passive array such as a Clariion.  With these types of arrays one of the storage processors (A or B) own the LUN at any one time.  If you're primary boot target is the secondary storage processor you will be able to "see" it during an OS installation, but you will not be able to boot to it.

If you confirm this is an A/P array, try to "Trespass" the LUN.  This will move ownership of the LUN to the other Storage Processor.  Then simply reboot your UCS blade.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thats a good point. It is a clariion Active/passive. I failed it over to SPA but still does not boot. The installation sees the lun. On the array, I see that the WWN/WWPN is logged in and on SPA port.

on the ucs boot policy primary target, should that be the WWN of the SPA? or the WWPNs of the SPA?

ok looks like I can boot now. I had to change the lun to 0. Also added in 4 wwns from the SPAs on the clariion.

one other thing. this lun was owned by spA and it booted fine.

but when i tresspass the lun to spB, it still booted fine. why is that?

Well, it should be booting fine because you have the secondary target configured on your boot order which points to the target SP-B. Hope this answers your question.

Aditya Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Useful link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ts/guide/TS_SANBootAndConnect.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: