cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot from SAN policy

Denny Trujillo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm in the middle of my first UCS deployment and I'm having a hard time understanding how to configure a boot from SAN policy that offers HA. The primary SAN boot vHBA is connected to FAB-A and points to the NetApp FC port connected to FAB-A as its target. Now here is where I get confused with trying to set this up for HA. Am I suppose to add a secondary SAN boot vHBA that connects to fabric B and have it point to the NetApp FC port connected to FAB-B as the target? If so, will UCS automatically multi-path the boot LUN via FAB-A and FAB-B?

Thanks!

Denny

2 Replies 2

gkumark
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Denny,

Yes, you need to configure seconday SAN boot vHBA that connects to fabric B and have it point to the NetApp FC port connected to FAB-B as the target. This way the server can boot up even when the FAB-A is down. UCS will boot from the secondary target when the primary target/path is not available. Note that, this is only for booting.  Once its up and running, the OS handles failover activities. 

About multipathing, UCS doesn't take care of multipathing. You need to have native multipathing or any other multipathing configured on the server side.

Hope this helps!

-Ganesh

kg6itcraig
Level 1
Level 1

Yes. Just be sure that your fiber and boot policy looks like this:

FIA => SwitchA => SAN ControllerA/LUN#

FIB => SwitchB => SAN ControllerA/LUN#

Well that is if you are using a Brocade fabric or something like it.

Craig

My UCS Blog http://realworlducs.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: