Views
Helpful
Replies

Breaking HA Cluster mode from 6120 UCS setup

niranjandas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This was a used UCS system and i borrowed it to my lab. I just powered on onyl 6100 from the cluster. No scope command works in this single 6100. I was looking for a command to break the cluster. But could not find one in any confiuration guide. Could any one tell me the command to disable the cluster from 6100? In documentation guide nothing is mentioned that 6100 need to be in a cluster. In fact i found in the config guide, setup with both single and double 6120's

cisco-A-A(local-mgmt)# show cluster state

Cluster Id: 0x77b2297e0a0711df-0xbfe7000decf4ca84

A: UP, ELECTION IN PROGRESS (Management services: UP)

B: UNRESPONSIVE, INAPPLICABLE, (Management services: UNRESPONSIVE)

INTERNAL NETWORK INTERFACES:

eth1, DOWN

eth2, DOWN

HA NOT READY

Peer Fabric Interconnect is down

No device connected to this Fabric Interconnect

WARNING: Failover cannot start, device configuration is incomplete

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If it's for a lab system, just erase the configuration.

Connect local-management

erase configuration

commit-buffer

Ensure you have console access and you can set up the system in standalone mode.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If it's for a lab system, just erase the configuration.

Connect local-management

erase configuration

commit-buffer

Ensure you have console access and you can set up the system in standalone mode.

Regards,

Robert

That seems workable to me. But i was looking for a formal ommand to break the cluster. Not sure why cluster so tightly binded meaning once created, no way to disable it.

Correct.  Most users may go from Standalone to cluster - which you can do, but you can't do the reverse.  Like I said your option here is to erase the configuration and just reconfigure it.  Safer & faster.

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter4.html#concept_F0ABF69BF9B0413980807E5156D1AE0C

Regards

Robert

Hi

I have same kind of issue where i need to disable the cluster mode and moveover to Standalone.. if i erase & start from scratch what about the service profile already exists ..?

is there any impact on Chassis side..? i have a critical data on them .. i want to do this move over but no impact on UCS chassis data side...

Could some one please help me out of this situaltion

Thanks,

Naresh Kumar K

if i erase & start from scratch what about the service profile already exists ..?

This will erase everything, including pools, SP,....

I would do a backup first in any case.

As Robert already said:

Most users may go from Standalone to cluster - which you can do, but you can't do the reverse.

Naresh,

Is there a reason you need to go from Cluster to standalone?  Is this a design change?  It's really not recommended to run "critical data" and applications on a single FI.  You leave yourself a single point of failure.

In your case what you could do

1. Run an All-Configuration backup (just to be safe).

2. Run a "Logical" Configuration backup (which will contains only relevant items such as service profiles, VLANs, VSANs, pools, and policies.)

3. Erase configuration on both FI's.

4. Configure your single FI in standalone mode

5. Restore the Logical Configuration backup.

In the event anything doesn't work or you need to roll-back to your current Cluster state you can restore the "All-Configuration" backup, and re-add the peer FI back into the cluster from CLI.

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card