Views
Helpful
Replies

C220 M3 problem recognizing HDD disks

b.moakhar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We recently have bought a UCS C220 M3 Server, in order to install a virtual environment through ESXi. When trying to install EXSi 4.1; the hard disks are not recognized and listed.

When connecting to the Web GUI (CIMC), in the inventory, the disks are not displayed...

We use 3 disks (A03-D500GC3)

cisco.JPG

What can i do in this situation?

Edit: the ESXi installation was tried with RAID and without RAID, same problem. when configuring RAID, the disks are recognized

Thanks

25 Replies 25

Hi,

After consulting Cisco Support team, the problem was located on the motherboard... they had replace it and then we were able to install OS on the server

dhani.irwan
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem with me in Cisco C22 M3, is it problem with the motherboard or HDD ? how to replaced the motherboard?

iam using Windows 2008 Standard Edition X86

Hi,

in our case, the problem didn't come from HDD but from motherboard. the server was under warranty, so cisco support replaced it for us.

Hello Dhani,

You have configured a RAID in your system? If so usually, if the additional adapter is not recognize by  the windows installer, it means that the driver is not included or the  windows binaries are custom (built without those drivers). Try with a new version of win 2008

Below the compatibles OS for the embedded Raid Controller LSI MegaSR (Software controller)

ā€¢             Microsoft Windows Server 2008R2

ā€¢             RedHat Enterprise Linux RHEL 5.7, 6.1 and 6.2

ā€¢             SLES 11 SP1 and Sp2

Hope it works for you!

dhani.irwan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks..the problem has been solved. Cisco UCS C22 M3 that we had only support Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit not 32bit

:-)

Thanks Dhani Irwan for the tip. I was installing Windows server 2008 x86 and when I load  the driver from C600 folder it was telling me that it's not supporting,  but after using 64-bit windows it detects the HHD and installation is in  progress now.

I cant see the HDD in the BIOS, neither in the Inventory of CIMC

what should be done in this situation?

I have  LSI 9265CV-8i MegaRAID SAS HBA

Bechara,

Can you attach screenshots and describe what you have done/tried so we do not begin with basic troubleshooting?  Also, screenshots, CIMC/BIOS version will help.

-Kenny

After removing the cables then plug them back to the motherboard, i was able to go to lsi configuration by using CTL+M key, then i have configured the virtual disks,

Is it possible that the only supported os is 2008 R2?

I couldnt also install 2012 or esx 5.0

The 9265CV-8i should see the disks and you should be able to install on that.  It if everything was cabled and the option ROM was enabled that should have worked.  I would suggest you open a case with TAC if that controller is not working.

By connecting the cables on the motherboard you are now using the RAID on Motherboard option (ROMB).  This is the C600 controller on board the system using the LSI software RAID.  This is supported for Win2K8 and Win2k12.  It is NOT supported for ESXi.

CIMC will not show the drives in the inventory when using the onboard controller, this is expected behavior.

To see the drives for a windows install you will need to mount the drivers ISO (avalible from cisco.com), choose the Intel C600 folder from the mounted ISO and then scan the drives for install.  See the attached screenshots:

Hi All,

I have experienced the same issue on UCS C220 M3 server. Tried below steps to get it back,

1. Upgrade the RAID card firmware version.

Please check the documentation in order to perform the action: http://tools.cisco.com/squish/01aC9

2. Factory reset the server (Before do this make sure somebody is available onsite to take console & assign CIMC IP again)

3. To confirm the status(Presence) of HDD, Please check the SEL logs 

# 17 02 00 00 01 02 00 00 7D 9B 79 53 20 00 04 0D 42 00 00 00 6F 00 FF FF # 217 | 05/19/2014 05:49:49 | CIMC | Drive slot(Bay) HDD1_STATUS #0x42 | Drive Presence | Asserted

# 18 02 00 00 01 02 00 00 7D 9B 79 53 20 00 04 0D 43 00 00 00 6F 00 FF FF # 218 | 05/19/2014 05:49:49 | CIMC | Drive slot(Bay) HDD2_STATUS #0x43 | Drive Presence | Asserted

Slot:  2

Description:  LSI 6G MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i card with Supercap (RAID 0,1,5,6; RAID spans 10,50,60) - External mini-SAS connectors

PID:  UCS-RAID9271-8i

Vendor: 0x1000

Device: 0x005b

SubVendor: 0x1000

SubDevice: 0x9271

4. Check on the link below how the cables should be connected:

ā€œ Cable Routingā€ http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220.pdf   page 127

5. If still not working, its time to replace RAID Controller Card.

Cheers,

Alag

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card