Views
Helpful
Replies

C220 M3 Standalone RAID / Hard Drive configuration

alex_lin0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We just recently received a C220 M3 1.5.3b which will serve as a VM for Cisco servers. I am having trouble getting the machine to detect the hard drive I added. It is not even showing the hard drive in the boot option in BIOs. I looked at some of the related topic and found this document: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c220m3-sff-specsheet.pdf

Table 11 of the document shows the list of hard drives. At the end of the table, it states:

Approved Configurations (1) Onboard RAID, Mezzanine Cards, and all PCIe RAID Controllers

If you have not selected an onboard RAID upgrade option (ROM5 or ROM55), a mezzanine card, or a PCIe RAID controller for internal drives (LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i or 9271CV-8i), you may select up to 4 SATA-only drives, which will be controlled with the embedded SATA-only RAID controller.

Otherwise, select up to eight SAS+SATA drives listed in Table 11. You can mix SAS and SATA

Does this mean C220 needs a RAID controller or a Mezzanine card to detect a hard drive?

Also, do we have to use the hard drives in Table 11?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Based on the spec sheet you referenced, you can use any of the listed Sata drives with the onboard controller.

If you have either the ROM5/ROM55 or LSI megaraid cards, then you can use any of the listed SATA or SAS drives.

If you have purchased SAS drives but are strictly using the onboard sata controller without  the ROM5/ROM55 option chip, then you will not see or be able to use the drives.

If you are using drives other than what are listed on the spec sheet, then the system will not recognize the drives.

If you do have Sata drives, and intend to use the built in LSI software raid,  you will want to confirm you have enabled the SCU option ROM (see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html#80418

Do be aware that the onboard software raid controller is not supported in VMware.

Thanks,

Kirk...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html

View solution in original post

In the CIMC, click on inventory, and PCI cards.

You may have nothing listed, if your server has only the onboard/LOM NIC ports, and just the onboard embedded controller.

If your PCI-E slots list anything about LSI, then you have either the 2008Mez card, or one of the other 92XX controllers.

If you have no LSI raid cards listed in the PCI inventory, then you will have to use the embedded controller.  If you have supported drives installed, then you will want to make sure the Software raid option is enabled:

--------------------------------------------

Enabling the Embedded RAID Controller in the BIOS

When you order the server with this controller, the controller is enabled in the BIOS at the factory.

Note The default setting in the BIOS for the embedded controller is Disabled. When you order the server with the embedded controller, the BIOS setting is Enabled at the factory. However, if a server is reset to defaults, this BIOS setting is reverted to Disabled. Use the procedure below to re-enable the embedded controller.

Use the following procedure to enable the LSI MegaSR drivers.

Step 1 Boot the server and press F2 when prompted to enter the BIOS Setup utility.

Step 2 Select the Advanced tab, then South Bridge.

Step 3 Set Onboard SCU Storage Support to Enabled.

Step 4 Press F10 to save your changes and exit the utility.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Based on the spec sheet you referenced, you can use any of the listed Sata drives with the onboard controller.

If you have either the ROM5/ROM55 or LSI megaraid cards, then you can use any of the listed SATA or SAS drives.

If you have purchased SAS drives but are strictly using the onboard sata controller without  the ROM5/ROM55 option chip, then you will not see or be able to use the drives.

If you are using drives other than what are listed on the spec sheet, then the system will not recognize the drives.

If you do have Sata drives, and intend to use the built in LSI software raid,  you will want to confirm you have enabled the SCU option ROM (see http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html#80418

Do be aware that the onboard software raid controller is not supported in VMware.

Thanks,

Kirk...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html

Thank you for the answer Kirk.

I was looking in the BIOs and I did not see anything about RAID configuration. How do I tell if I have onboard RAID controller? 

In the CIMC, click on inventory, and PCI cards.

You may have nothing listed, if your server has only the onboard/LOM NIC ports, and just the onboard embedded controller.

If your PCI-E slots list anything about LSI, then you have either the 2008Mez card, or one of the other 92XX controllers.

If you have no LSI raid cards listed in the PCI inventory, then you will have to use the embedded controller.  If you have supported drives installed, then you will want to make sure the Software raid option is enabled:

--------------------------------------------

Enabling the Embedded RAID Controller in the BIOS

When you order the server with this controller, the controller is enabled in the BIOS at the factory.

Note The default setting in the BIOS for the embedded controller is Disabled. When you order the server with the embedded controller, the BIOS setting is Enabled at the factory. However, if a server is reset to defaults, this BIOS setting is reverted to Disabled. Use the procedure below to re-enable the embedded controller.

Use the following procedure to enable the LSI MegaSR drivers.

Step 1 Boot the server and press F2 when prompted to enter the BIOS Setup utility.

Step 2 Select the Advanced tab, then South Bridge.

Step 3 Set Onboard SCU Storage Support to Enabled.

Step 4 Press F10 to save your changes and exit the utility.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: