Background info:

Server BIOS  4.0(2b)C

UCSM FW 4.0(2b)A

Server storage setup:

OS boot from SAN

2 x 512GB NVMe,

2 x 3.8TB 6G SATA SSD disks on PSATA controller

Server OS: Centos 7.6.1810

I've been battling with couple of these servers for a while now. First I tried to get them to boot from NVMe disk with no result and I decided to go with SAN boot which was much easier to set up. After I got CentOS installed, the system only sees NVMe disks plus the boot LUN from SAN when checking with fdisk -l, lsblk or lshw.

I have been trying to get CentOS to recognize the PSATA disks and tried all sort of  Boot and Disk policies resulting that I managed to create virtual drive which I cannot remove and trying to change BIOS settings to LSI SW RAID mode results "sw raid configuration is not detected switching to ahci mode" in BIOS.

Can I somehow force delete the virtual drive via UCSM? I can't access the RAID configuration utility in KVM and I'm suspecting this is causing the PSATA mode change to fail -> OS cannot find the disks.

Is there some other configuration needed than changing Bios Policy -> Boot Options -> P-SATA mode to "LSI SW RAID"?

Thanks for your help!

Ari

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may want to create a boot entry for 'local embedded lun' which should cause the optionROM for the LSI software raid to present you with a 'control + M' option during POST.  I would see if you can create or delete a VD from within that utility.

There were a few versions of redhat in the 7.3/5/6 era that didn't have the megaraidSR mod built in, and I'm wondering if your CentOS builds are impacted as well.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may want to create a boot entry for 'local embedded lun' which should cause the optionROM for the LSI software raid to present you with a 'control + M' option during POST.  I would see if you can create or delete a VD from within that utility.

There were a few versions of redhat in the 7.3/5/6 era that didn't have the megaraidSR mod built in, and I'm wondering if your CentOS builds are impacted as well.

Kirk...

Thanks!

This lead to correct path. local LUN option in  boot policy allowed me to delete virtual drive from raid configuration utility in BIOS (never got the "Ctrl + M" prompt.

I also noticed that I couldn't get PSATA disks at all in Legacy boot environment, so I reinstalled OS in EFI mode and now have Linux with all the disks available!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card