cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C220M3 Out of Band Managment

mdavis1969
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to use the out of band managment port (RJ45 port) on the back of the C220M3 server so we can connect it to an MRV. Does anyone know what the baude rate is? I would think 9600, N, 8,1 and tried several buade rates, but I could not get in. Does anyone have any ideas?                  

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Management interface is an OOB network interface, not a console port. 

You might want to review the following documents for configuring & accessing the CIMC interface via GUI or CLI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps10739/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

Regards,

Robert

I want to use an MRV. In case the network is down, how can I access the server using an MRV which has serial connections on it or can i?

The only OOB management is via the CIMC interface.  This interface would connect to your separate Management network.  I'm not sure what an "MRV" is.  The CIMC interface is similar to HP's iLO, IBM RAC, Dell DRAC etc.

Robert

An MRV is a remote managment console that has multiple serial ports. You can use a telco line and dial in via modem and then access devices like your routers, and switches via the serial ports.

That's old school.  All our platforms utilize CIMC for OOB management.  As long as you have a line into the management network, via Telcom, Dial up, VPN, LAN etc  -  you can manage the device.  Web or CLI are the two ethernet based management options only.  We don't include a serial port on the base chassis.  There is a SoL option, but all management is still done via ethernet.  Read up on the Serial over LAN if that's what you're interested in doing.

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card