PID: UCS-FI-6248UP , VID: V01 , SN: SSI17420XXX

NAME: "Module 2", DESCR: "O2 16 port flexible GEM"
PID: UCS-FI-E16UP , VID: V01 , SN: FOC18275XXX

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just to confirm, it sounds like you are referring to the GEM (gigabit ethernet module) module installed to the far right of the 6248 as opposed to a FEX (fabric extender) which is a separate physical switch?

If so, then yes, the GEM module is hot swappable, meaning it can be installed and removed without power off the fabric interconnect. As with any change, we always recommend conducting this install/removal during a scheduled maintenance window and conduct the change on a single fabric at a time.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just to confirm, it sounds like you are referring to the GEM (gigabit ethernet module) module installed to the far right of the 6248 as opposed to a FEX (fabric extender) which is a separate physical switch?

If so, then yes, the GEM module is hot swappable, meaning it can be installed and removed without power off the fabric interconnect. As with any change, we always recommend conducting this install/removal during a scheduled maintenance window and conduct the change on a single fabric at a time.

CiscoMedMed
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks much Wes for the reply and correcting my term for the additional ports. Yes it's the GEM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: