cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I configure FCoE between UCS Fiber Interconnect and Nexus 5k?

Chermatwi_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 UCS with 2 pair of Fiber interconnect 6120XP and they are conencted to Nexus 5k. Currently 10Gig Ethernet and FC are used for connectvity. I have 8 port FC module in Nexus 5k. Storage is connected to Nexus 5k over FC. I would like to change the FI to Nexus 5K connectvity and configurtation  with FCoE so that I can get few more free FC ports for stoarge connecting. Could you please help me whether it is possible with Nexus OS version 5 and how do we do this?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Eric Rose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently today fcoe northbound out of the fi is not support. This is slated for a future release.

Thanks

Eric

Dear Eric,

Thanks for the quick response. Just a curious question.... Can I connect the 4 ports UCS FEX directly to Nexus 5k bypassing FI? If this can be done, I can protect my investment.

Warm regards,

Cheriyan

Cheriyan,

the answer to your last question as well is NO. One of the simple reasons, the blades need to get their properties via the serivce profile from the UCSM and the UCSM can only run on the FIs.

./Abhinav

Jason Benedicic
Level 1
Level 1

What storage are you using and is it capable of running a CNA?

If so, one configuration I have used to reduce ports out of the storage and reduce the need for a high density of FC ports is to run FCoE from Storage to 5k, then trad FC from 5k to FI.

With the 5k acting as a bridge between FCoE and FC you don't hit the single-hop limitations that currently exist within the protocol.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Dears,

Thanks for your help. I suppose I can work in the direction of Jason suggested and will configure.

Thanks once again.

Cheriyan Mathew

Does NPV need to be turned on in the 5K to allow this?

Jeff,

No, the N5K would be in switch mode (non NPV) to provide fabric services when attaching storage directly to the N5K via FC.  You do need to enable NPIV on the N5K however.

Regards,

Robert

So I can connect the 6120 via FC to a Nexus 5010 and the UCS manager will see the SAN as if the 6120 was directly connected via FC to the SAN.

Correct?

Correct.  As long as your SAN is connected to the N5K also, UCS will see it.

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card