cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I find CIMC IP Address through vSphere?

Nehru Becirovic
Level 1
Level 1

On some of the servers we manage I'm not able to access CIMC.  Either IP has changed (I don't have local access) or its not reachable for some reason. However I can access all the servers through vSphere / ESX.  

Is there any way I can confirm IP Address of CIMC through ESX?

16 Replies 16

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ESXi host IP address is totally independent of CIMC IP address ?

What kind of server do you have: blade or rack mount, and for the latter managed by UCS Manager ?

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is not possible to find the Ip address through ESX.

The only way to find out about the ip for your server is by having local access to your server with a monitor and rebooting the server.  During the boot up process you will see the cimc ip address that your server has configured on the right corner of the screen.

oliversh54
Level 1
Level 1

If you have vCenter Server with the vCenter Hardware Status Plug-in enabled, you can find the CIMC IP of a UCS-C ESXi Host from the vSphere Client.  Connect the vSphere Client to the vCenter Server, open the Hosts and Clusters view, highlight the ESXi Host, open the Host's Hardware Status tab, and look under Baseboard Management Controller to find the Management Controller IP Interface.

Unfortunately, the hardware tab was removed with 6.0.0. Anyone else know of a way besides local access? 

SSH to the ESXi host and run this command:

enum_instances OMC_IPMIIPProtocolEndpoint root/cimv2 | grep IPv4

Filippo Gallinaro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

if you have SSH access to the host you can run this :

and it will return the CIMC IP address (at least on the models I used).

Here is the reference to the relevant vmware support forum's thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/487197

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Fil

Hi guys,

Is it possible to power on a Cisco server via CIMC using vCenter?

Many thanks for the advice.
Can confirm it works.

@Filippo Gallinaro wrote:

Hello,

if you have SSH access to the host you can run this :

and it will return the CIMC IP address (at least on the models I used).

Here is the reference to the relevant vmware support forum's thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/487197

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Fil

this doesn;t work for me:
[root@CW10-ESXi-7:~] enum_instances OMC_IPMIIPProtocolEndpoint root/cimv2 | grep IPv4
error: enumInstances 1

I get the same error as niattri

With standalone rack servers, if using the Cisco Custom ESXi ISO or if you have ucs-tools vib installed (https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286305108/type/286323573/release/1.3.1) you can run /opt/ucs_tool_esxi/ucs_ipmitool lan print to get the CIMC IP

BrianMorrissey_0-1691410750357.png

Hello. So when I run the ucs_ipmitool print out. It works but the IP is 0.0.0.0. And source is set for DHCP. So obviously CIMC not configured. But my question is there another way on the standalone that could do the same functions as CIMC?

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of functionality are you looking for?  For the most part you'll need the CIMC configured to get remote KVM access, configure VIC adapters, map vmedia etc.  You could manually grab SEL logs and sensors via IPMI but its pretty limited without the CIMC

I stated that poorly. What I mean is. For example how would you power it up without CIMC. Would you be able to from UCS manager?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card