Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't boot new ESXi install from internal hard drive

laurenmalhoit
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I installed ESXi 5.1 on an internal hard drive in a UCS C220 M3.  I disconnected the media and then tried to boot, but it still can't find the OS.  I went into the boot order and it doesn't even list the two internal hard drives.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which RAID Controller?

Robert

David McFarland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me know which LSI array controller you have by checking CIMC - Inventory storage/PCI tabs. The LSI 2008 or LSI 9265 will show up in one of them.

If you one of them, you will need to break into the LSI OptionROM during POST and configure an array LUN.

If you have neither listed in CIMC, it's possible that there is an issue with one of th LSI array controller, or you have no hardware LSI array controller.

Unfortunately, the only way I know to check this is by removing the top cover. If you see the HDD mini-SAS cables connecting directly into the Motherboard and not to a LSI 2008 mezzanine card or PCIe 9265 LSI controller, then you are using the Intel Southbridge Patsburg Storage Control Unit (SCU) C600. The SCU C600 is not supported by VMware for ESX/ESXi.

I don't see either of them.  It only says FlexFlash-0.  Next to controller status it says "card not present."  I don't have an SD card to put in, just the two internal drives.

Can you remove the cover and let us know what you see?

Unfortunately, the only way I know to check this is by removing the top cover. If you see the HDD mini-SAS cables connecting directly into the Motherboard and not to a LSI 2008 mezzanine card or PCIe 9265 LSI controller, then you are using the Intel Southbridge Patsburg Storage Control Unit (SCU) C600. The SCU C600 is not supported by VMware for ESX/ESXi.

Thanks,

Dave

Sorry, I didn't get this until I had left for the day.  However, I started reading up on it a bit.  Apparently, it is the "embedded" controller (from the purchase order I have).  Which I believe is what you're saying is not compatible with VMware.  Do you know if it's possible to change it?

It's "free" with the system. There is no need to swap it out.

In order to have a supported configuration, you'll need to install a hardware RAID controller. The LSI 2008 is probably the least expensive option. It goes into the mezzanine connection between the DIMM and riser cards. A more expensive option would be a PCIe 9265-CV.

But, very important, how many CPU's are installed and do you have any other PCIe cards installed. If you only have a single CPU system, you'll only have access to PCIe slot 1 in riser 1 (closest to the side of the C220M3). The mezzanine PCIe and Slot 2 communication pass thru CPU2.

Hi David MCFarland

Where can I find the drivers for RAID, I have the same issue.

Regards

You can find drivers for C-series servers on this link:

http://software.cisco.com/download/navigator.html?mdfid=283612685&flowid=25882

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card