cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't install Windows 2008 because can't install storage driver

cmartinvalle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to install a Windows 2008 R2 x64 with SP1 in a blade server B200 M3, the adapter model is MLOM-40G-01 and boot from SAN is required. When the installation begins, it cannot find any disk so it asks to install the driver. We're trying to install the driver Windows/Storage/Cisco/MLOM/W2K8R2/x64/fnicwl64 from the firmware versions 2.2(1) and 2.2(1a) (we have installed the firmware version 2.2(1d) but there are no specific drivers for this one).

The installer cannot install this specific driver and the error message is "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the installation media".

Can't anyone please help me and tell me how can I install that driver?

Regards.

6 Replies 6

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

i don't believe your problem is with the drivers, you should check the zoning on your storage switch as well as the masking on the storage. Also, remember that for windows you want to want to have a single path to the storage.

You can tell if your vhbas are connected to the storage if you can see the storage target wwpn during the boot up process, if you don't see it you won't be able to see the storage LUN.

take a look at the troubleshooting guide below, it will help you find out the problem.

http://angryjesters.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/cisco-vic-boot-from-san-troubleshooting/

please se let me know if this helps

Many thanks for your answer and the excellent troubleshooting guide.

Not sure that the zoning is causing the issue because because if we launch an ESXi installation, we can see all the LUN's there. Anyway, we are going to double check it.

Apart from this, we have a single path and we can see the storage target wwpn during the boot up process.

Any other suggestion we can check, please?

How are you connected to the storage? Is this through a san switch? If this is the case what is the model of your switch and software version? If this is an MDS make sure the software is not too old, I've seen cases where the version of firmware affects the windows install

This is the reference for the above comment......

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12200351/b200-m3-san-boot-windows-2012-issues

Thank you very much to all of you for your valuable answers. After checking all that ideas you kindly shared with me, it seems that the problem was caused by a wrong Windows 2008 ISO image. We used a Windows 2008 Server R2 x64 without SP1 installed, and finally we couldn't install it.

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you don't see the lun, it's either zoning and/or the enic AND fnic drivers are not installed.

did you download

ISO image of UCS-related drivers  Login Required
ucs-bxxx-drivers.2.2.2.iso

from

Unified Computing System (UCS) Drivers-2.2(2)

On the support matrix for 2.2. you see for Windows 2008 R2 SP1

Adapter Driver   = 2.1.0.27 (FNIC) / 2.4.0.15 (ENIC) / 2.1.0.12 (NIC Teaming Driver)
Adapter Firmware = 2.2(2)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: