cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot install new UCS C220 M5. Red Hat does not see any hard drive.

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

I have a new UCS C220 M5 on which I want to install Red Hat.

I tried to follow the install procedure and tried with multiple versions but all report seeing no disk. The problem I have is also knowing which driver to select. Tried with different but it didn't work. Tried with both UEFI and Legacy mode.

There is currently only one disk installed.

When booting I see M.2 SWRAID configuration is not detected. Switching to AHCI mode.

2021-07-22 09_02_07-mRemoteNG - confCons.xml - Win2012SRV.png

In BIOS in Advanced / LSI Software RAID Configuration Utility (SATA) there is virtual drive created.

2021-07-22 09_04_56-mRemoteNG - confCons.xml - Win2012SRV.png

When I go to View Associated Drives I see that the Drive is Disabled.

2021-07-22 09_30_49-mRemoteNG - confCons.xml - Win2012SRV.png

If I enable it I can see it's properties but next time I go in it's again disabled.

Maybe this is the problem?

in CIMC  Compute / PID Catalog it also shows no HDD.

2021-07-22 09_32_27-Window.png

Any idea what the problem is and how I should configure it to run Red Hat?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thanx. Appending linux dd modprobe.blacklist=ahci nodmraid was crucial to get it done.
I was trying with just linux dd and that didn't work.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The UCS M5 generation internal M.2 disks (annoying) show very little in the CIMC web GUI under Storage or Compute.

You may need a Linux driver to see the M.2 from the OS.

See: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C240M5/install/C240M5/C240M5_appendix_0100.html#concept_qg3_tnq_kz

He Steven,

I only have one SATA drive (a big one inserted from the front). So I don't think I need M.2.

I tried with multiple versions of Red Hat and multiple different versions of the storage driver that I load before red hat installation starts but I can't get it to see a drive where it can install.

If I want to deploy Red Hat 7.9 and as I mentioned I have only one SATA drive can you tell me what driver I should use for the storage?

Best regards.

Thanx. Appending linux dd modprobe.blacklist=ahci nodmraid was crucial to get it done.
I was trying with just linux dd and that didn't work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card