cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot install Windows 2008 on a Netapp LUN

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

The blade is using the M81KR adapter. The LUN appears during boot. I boot up using a virtualDVD-ROM with Win 2008 iso-image. I then unmap the ISO and map the UCS drivers for M81KR for Windows 2008. Then it says the LUN is offline and it let's me online it. But then it still says it is unavailable for install. The message is attached. What am I doing wrong? Using UCM 2.0(1m).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atle,

When you boot the server, from the KVM go into the BIOS options "F2", go to Boot Options and disable the "EFI" boot option.  Save the settings and then attempt to install Windows.  Let us know the results.

Robert

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Atle,

Please make sure after you load the drivers, re-map the Windows ISO and click refresh button on the installer screen before selecting the target boot LUN.

Padma

Hi ,

From the attachment I understand that there are multipaths to the boot LUN. For installing windows, multipathing should be disabled during installation (to use single path) and same has to be enabled after installation. Please try this.

Ram

hi,

I tried refreshing after mapping the windows ISO. Did not make a difference.

Yes, this is multipathed, because this is  FAS3210 cluster. The question is how to disable the multipathing? So far I have only found how to enable it. Does anyone know? Do we really have to disconnect all FC-cables to the partner? Or is it enough just to disable the cluster?

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

I turned off multi-pathing by using portsets (specifying exactly wich ports FCP can use). Sadly, the problem is still there. Is this a version or firmware issue?

All the version of UCSM supports the windows 2008 installation.

Please create the boot policy using single path and same policy can be used for windows installation purpose alone.

Then you can change the boot policy which has all the path available.

Ram

Hi,

But I have a SAN-Policy. I just tried to create a new boot policy, but as you can see in the attachment, there is no option to create one using single path. Or am I missing something here?

Hello Atle,

You can create single HBA with just primary target information in the boot policy and continue with the installation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/b/os/windows/install/2008-vmedia-install.html#wp1059547

Padma

Ok, then I have single-path boot policy, because I have not set up any secondary SAN targets. What can then be wrong?

ADAman
Level 1
Level 1

Still a mystery. I checked the local Disk policy and ,

it was set to"no RAID". I then removed the policy, but it still does not help. The local disks are still showing up together with the SAN lun, and I get the same error as before. I checked the BIOS policy (not enabled here), but I cannot see anything there that can change anything.

The Local Disk policy only affects the local disks.  This can be set to either Independent, RAID-1 or RAID-0.  If they are installed, they will appear to the OS. 

Sounds like you're attempting a SAN install so the local disk policy is not relevant here.  On the NetApp, what did you set the "LUN Share" on this LUN to?  It should be set to "None".  As long as that's set correctly, and you mount the drivers & Windows OS in the correct sequence as detailed by Padma above, you should be able to install to the LUN.

Which drivers .iso version are you using for the M81KR drivers?

Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

I have not set any LUN sharing, no.

I am using UCS drivers 2.01c

I have been using the correct sequence. I just discovered that it let's me install if I ignore the error message, but it will not boot the OS upon reboot.

The Storage driver for Win2008 R2 is installed as a Storport miniport driver.

Post install, did you change the Boot Policy to include all paths?

Robert

no, the boot policy has all the time only had Primary path and no secondary path. I will also mention that this is a lab setup with only 1 FI. As described here , I managed to get rid of multi-pathing by introducing portsets on the Netapp storage side. I will double check now if lun sharing is on, but I do not think so and will post soon if it is on.

Hi Atle,

Seen issues in the past with Win2K8 booting from SAN and the server also having local disks installed (as seems to be the case in your setup).

It is also documented in the configuration guide to remove the local disks if performing Boot from SAN:

"If you are creating a boot policy that boots the server from a SAN LUN  and you require reliable SAN boot operations, you must first remove all  local disks from servers associated with a service profile that includes  the boot policy."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.0/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_0_chapter_011101.html#task_95B79439BDE0407095DE697F0AA0C950__prereq_999FB59674FD40A5A3E04E9375D9A778

So if you could remove the local disks and see if that improves your situation.

Thanks,

Michael

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card