Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot migrate host to vDS with palo

libxu
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I am using palo on a blade B200 server, and want to enable vn-link in hardware, but when it moved to "add host to vDS" in vcenter, it showed a error of "vDS operation failed on host hostnamexxxx, An error occurred during host configuration. got (vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) exception".

I've read all the related threads in the forum, and update my ESXi to 4.1 update 1, I was wondering if I missed anything. and in the guide here:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10281/products_configuration_example09186a0080b52d0d.shtml   it says the N1K VEM is also installed on the host, so, my questions are:

1) Is N1K VEM needed in VN-LINK in hardware?

2) Is there anything else I can try at this point?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That error normally points to the VEM piece missing from the ESX hosts.

1.  Yes.

2.  Manually install the VEM software, then try re-adding the host.

I assume you've setup the Dynamic vNICs already?

Regards,

Robert

HI, thanks robert, I've installed VEM on the host, and I can migrate the host to the vDS.

Based on my understanding, the vDS will create the NIC for every VM dynamically, so during the host migration process, I assigned no static vNIC to the vDS, leaving all the vmkernel traffic/management on the originall standard switch.  But in that way, the vDS couldn't work properly,  and the VM could not be seen in the UCSM,so I tried assigning one static vNIC to the uplink port group, after that, the VM was pushed to the UCSM.

My question is: Is a static vNIC for uplink port group necessay?

The other question is when I added the VM to the vDS,  the task showed "completed " in the vcenter, but followed with the detail" waiting for host **** (1/1) port data update task to complete", and it took extremely long time to finish the task, is that normal?

thanks a lot!

BR

libing

libxu
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks,I will try the N1k vem, and I have set the dynamic vnic the same number in the max port of port profile

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: