cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CATERR_N: A catastrophic fault has occurred on one of the processors: Please check the processors' status.

srahmedcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have been facing below error in UCS 460 M1 servers. The server is stuck and giving the follwoing errors.

In the CIMC console I'm getting follwoing ( Attached snapshot) 

Critical F0174 sys/rack-unit-1/board equipment-inoperable CATERR_N: A catastrophic fault has occurred on one of the processors: Please check the processors' status. 

Major F0743  sys/rack-unit-1 psu-redundancy-fail PS_REDUNDANCY: Power Supply redundancy is lost : Reseat or replace Power Supply 

I have search alot but could not find any thing.

Thanks in advacned for your kind support. Regards,

6 Replies 6

Qiese Dides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Srahmedcisco,

If you could go ahead and upload your show-tech-support logs that would greatly help in identifying this issue. What it seems on the surface is that you are having a hardware failure on the processor and an issue with the power supply.

Could you try the following steps while uploading the logs to see if this clears the errors.

1) Turn off the server and open the cover

2) Remove all CPUs and All DIMMs from the server

3) Install only 1 CPU and 1 DIMM (depends on the server specification for the server), then boot the server if. If it boots that is fine and that means that this CPU is fine.

4) Remove this CPU and install the second CPU with also one DIMM and boot it if it boots that means that the second CPU is fine.

5) If the server does not boot in all these conditions that means the motherboard has failed.

6) Also reseat the powersupply and see if that clears the ID F0743.

Hi Qiese,

After upgradition of Cisco Host Upgrade Utility,this problem appreard before it was working fine. 

Cisco Integrated Management Controller
ucs-c460-m1
 Version: 1.5(7f)

I want to install windows server 2012 R2 datacenter, for this i have upgraded the firmware and bios and all other devices by using cisco host upgrade utility.

Regards,

Thanks for the update srahmedcisco on how this occured.

Where you able to gather the showtech-support logs and do the work around I provided above.

- Qiese

We are facing the same error in all our cisco servers ( 6 high end servers) we are unable to install 2012 r2. how can I get showtech-support logs ?

Regards,

Rizwan

Before gathering a show tech and trying to upload it here (it may have information about your device that you dont want to put in the internet) you can go ahead and try the steps suggested by my colleague and also, we have a diagnostics tool that you can use, just clear the SEL log before you use it.

Below 2 versions will support the C460-M1, they are available at cisco.com

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/ucsscu/user/guide/20/SCUUG20/getstart.html#wp1068602

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/ucsscu/user/guide/UCSSCU/getstart.html#wp1068602

HTH,

-Kenny

Hello Dides,

Error messages on processors that are followed by a reboot can be several hours apart.
In this case, are the tests suggested relevant?

Once the apic has been restarted with 1 CPU and 1 DIMM, do we wait a "certain" amount of time before seeing a possible processor error?

Is it better to carry out these tests with the server disconnected from the ACI?

Thank you in advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: