Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing FCOE uplinks to Ethernet Uplinks

flamegri11ed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Community,

We have moved from SAN to NAS, iscsi boot and NFS in Vsphere.

We have ports 19,20 for Ethernet Uplinks carrying all the traffic at the moment to our Cisco Nexus 5548up's.

Starting with the Subordinate 6296, we want to disable the FCoE Uplinks ports 29-32 (not in use) to add it to the Ethernet Uplink PC configuration in ports 21-24 as it has all the necessary VLANs.

Do we have to add the VLANs to the new Ethernet Uplinks after the physical port change? (29-32 to 21-24)

What is the best procedure to make this change i.e. want to avoid downtime and risk?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the example guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-6120xp-20-port-fabric-interconnect/110267-ucs-uplink-ethernet-connection.html

its been a long i am thinking FI will reboot after modifying the config, make sure you do these changes in the maintenance window.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi thank you for replying to my query about FCoE and ethernet uplink changes.

Disabling the current 4 x FCoE ports and moving the cables to ports 21-24 and assigning these 4 ports as Ethernet uplinks and attaching them to the current port-channel with team members ports 19/20 will affect traffic i.e. downtime? Can I assume that the Cisco network support person will have to attach these 4 members to the current Ethernet port-channel on the 5548UP before the cables are moved to 21-24?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per my knowledge when you change the mode, it required some reboot, so it has some downtime - cant remember, it was done old days with 1 device, later since we have many HA devices, it not matter forward even one device reboot, other will take over the data.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card