Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Fiber Channel Switching Mode - Reboot Behavior

Runner888
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

Quick question: I'm currently running UCS v3.2.3 and may need to reconfigure the fiber channel switching mode. According to the UCS doc (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-manager/GUI-User-Guides/Network-Mgmt/3-2/b_UCSM_Network_Mgmt_Guide_3_2/b_UCSM_Network_Mgmt_Guide_3_2_chapter_010.html#concept_66674E79D04044E8A470B91EDEFA417F), it states that the FIs will reboot sequentially (secondary FI reboots first and then primary FI) for v3.1.3 and later when making such a change. However, it later states that both FIs will reboot simultaneously under "Note" section. It's a bit confusing here. Can anyone provide insights into the actual reboot behavior for v3.2 or later? Thanks.

Keith

Keith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Keith,

For UCS Manager Release 3.1(3) and above we included user-ack before primary FI reboot. So yes, its in rolling fashion. Tested in lab as well. 

I'll file a doc bug to remove that note. It is confusing.!! 

image.png

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mojafri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Keith,

For UCS Manager Release 3.1(3) and above we included user-ack before primary FI reboot. So yes, its in rolling fashion. Tested in lab as well. 

I'll file a doc bug to remove that note. It is confusing.!! 

image.png

Please rate if you find it helpful. 

Regards,

MJ

Thanks MJ for the clarification as well as for the filing doc revision to remove that note. Just out of curiosity here, do the FIs also do a rolling reboot if you change the switching for Ethernet? I would assume that regardless of whether it is Ethernet or Fiber Channel--if one makes a change to the switching mode, the FI will reboot sequentially for v3.1.3 or later. I would assume that would be the case but don't want to make such assumptions.

Keith

you are absolutely correct !! 

Regards,

MJ

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card