Views
Helpful
Replies

CIMC firmware upgrade with no reboot

sami.khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to upgrade CIMC firmware with no reboot to server or anything? Please let me know if there is any.

Thank You
Sami

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Sami,

The upgrading of the CIMC is actually not disruptive and does not cause a reboot of the host OS. The upgrade of the BIOS, adapter, etc will require reboot. That being said, when you upgrade the firmware, you should ensure that all the versions are matching. So if you are upgrading to 2.0.10 release, you will want CIMC, BIOS, Adapter package, Raid Controller, etc all running the same package version.

HTH,

Wes

View solution in original post

Sami,

Here is the guide to upgrade CIMC without HUU:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/gui/config/guide/1-1-1/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_Servers_Integrated_Management_Controller_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1/Cisco_UCS_C-Series_Servers_Integrated_Management_Controller_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1_chapter12.html

The CIMC upgrade itself will not impact the OS, however, the subsequent BIOS and adapter upgrades will require a reboot to complete.

HTH,

Wes

Hey Sami,

This is correct. The same procedure can be used for 2.0.X releases. Please mark the answer as correct so other can find the same information.

Thanks,

Wes

10 Replies 10

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Sami,

The upgrading of the CIMC is actually not disruptive and does not cause a reboot of the host OS. The upgrade of the BIOS, adapter, etc will require reboot. That being said, when you upgrade the firmware, you should ensure that all the versions are matching. So if you are upgrading to 2.0.10 release, you will want CIMC, BIOS, Adapter package, Raid Controller, etc all running the same package version.

HTH,

Wes

Thank You Wes! Is there a document where I can upgrade CIMC with no disruptive to OS?

So when I upgrade CIMC do I have to upgrade Bios, adapter following it?

Sami,

Here is the guide to upgrade CIMC without HUU:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/gui/config/guide/1-1-1/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_Servers_Integrated_Management_Controller_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1/Cisco_UCS_C-Series_Servers_Integrated_Management_Controller_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1_chapter12.html

The CIMC upgrade itself will not impact the OS, however, the subsequent BIOS and adapter upgrades will require a reboot to complete.

HTH,

Wes

Thank You Wes! This method apply to the latest release as well?

Hey Sami,

This is correct. The same procedure can be used for 2.0.X releases. Please mark the answer as correct so other can find the same information.

Thanks,

Wes

Thank you very much for your help Wes!

Hello Wes,

Can you provide the whole one guide which has the process of upgrading firmware for CIMC, Bios, Adapter etc., for 2.0

Thank You

Sami

If we upgrade the CIMC only and not the rest of the firmware will that leave us in an unstable condition?  It seems that you are saying that upgrading the CIMC is not disruptive per se but the rest of the upgrade process will require reboots.

Is it wise to just upgrade the CIMC and not the rest of the firmware?

Thanks

Upgrading only the CIMC firmware is not recommended or supported, as you need to have all components on the same revision. However, if you are in a position where you need to upgrade the CIMC but cannot wait to upgrade other components until later, than the CIMC will be okay at a higher revision. If your CIMC version is too much higher revision than BIOS, some hardware components may not be recognized correctly or operate as expected.

Thanks for the confirmation. We really don't want to reboot the ISE (the 3945 is a C-220 Model 3) but I really really don't want to leave in a state where we end up with an instability.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card