Views
Helpful
Replies

CIMC UCS C200 M2 Blade - Unable to access

Bobby Mazzotti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone within this forum could assist in a problem I'm having at a client site. So we have two UCS C200 M2 blades that we are unable to access CIMC from. When I try to reach the IP the browser just sits there, but the IP is pingable ICMP echo request. I rebooted one of the systems hit F2 and tried to launch the CIMC configuration utility from BIOS but received a message "Warning not found" and the only option was to hit okay.

What would cause this? And do I need to update the firmware? If I need to update the firmware how do I go about this...?

Also, these systems are running ESXi 4.1, but I believe that version of VMware is incompatible. Could someone help me out in confirming this?

All help greatly appreciated!

-Bobby

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sivaksiv
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Has this been working before?

If not try resetting the CIMC or it could be a browser/java problem too. Does the problem exist across all browser and multiple user pc.

refer doc below to setup cimc

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c200-m1-high-density-rack-mount-server/111455-setup-cimc-c-series.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/1-1-1/b_Cisco_CIMC_CLI_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1/Cisco_CIMC_CLI_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1_chapter13.html

-
Siva

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

sivaksiv
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Has this been working before?

If not try resetting the CIMC or it could be a browser/java problem too. Does the problem exist across all browser and multiple user pc.

refer doc below to setup cimc

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c200-m1-high-density-rack-mount-server/111455-setup-cimc-c-series.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/1-1-1/b_Cisco_CIMC_CLI_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1/Cisco_CIMC_CLI_Configuration_Guide_1_1_1_chapter13.html

-
Siva

Hi Siva,

I checked the referred docs, and looks like we will need to upgrade the firmware on the server. Also, the customer had two different versions of power supplies. The user also unplugged the management interface from their network, in which removed our KvM access.

Thanks,

-Bobby

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi 

What firmware is your server running?

Try unplugging the power cables from the server for about 5 minutes, after that plug the cables and try to access the CIMC again.

if you are running firmware version  below 1.4(3) and the workaround above worked it means that you are running into a defect, so you need to upgrade the firmware to at least 1.4(3).

Please let me know if this works and don't forget to rate any useful posts 

I am not able to ping the cimc ip address even when I am connected to the physical UCS C200 M2 server directly through serial cable. What could the problem?

Being connected to a terminal session over serial isn't going to let you ping from your workstation.

If this is really an old M2 server,,, than chances are high that you are hitting a mem leak bug, and will require a hard power cycle to reset the CIMC.

If you can't ping your CIMC after doing a hard power cycle, then you may need to confirm your upstream switch config in combination with the CIMC config (via F8 key during post)

Kirk...

My upstream switch port is configured for access port with vlan 200 and my cimc is configured with the following:

1. NIC Mode: Dedicated

2. NIC Redundancy: None

3. CIMC IP: x.x.200.x

4. Subnet Mask: 225.255.255.0

5. Gateway: x.x.200.x

3. Vlan Enabled

4. Vlan ID: 200

I am still not able to ping through KVM console serial port.

Just to make sure I understand your terminology, you are trying to ping to the CIMC ip address from the OS either loaded on this server, or another network device.  Your CIMC is using the 10/100 link dedicated port shown below:

c200dedicatedport.JPG

If you are pinging from the OS in your server, then that would have to go out the  1Gb ports (labeled as '6'), get switched on upstream switch and then come back down on the dedicated link labeled as '2'.

Does your upstream switchport show any learned mac addresses?

Also check the port-counters to make sure there aren't a bunch of CRC type counters that are incrementing.

We used to see occasional cases where the CIMC dedicated port and the upstream switch port wouldn't always correctly negotiate port speed/duplex, and would see duplex mismatch, which can cause most of your frames to get dropped.

Kirk...

The physical server is connected to the switchport which is properly configured with access port from its LAN port 2. I was able to ping the vSphere ESXi host from anywhere on the network using SSH  and I also were able to login to the the ESXi host through vSphere client. But the putty display show black screen when I tried connecting to the CIMC through Mgmt port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: