Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C210 M2 SAS Cable to Extender

Good morning,

i've a Cisco C210 M2 with a SAS Extender and a Cisco 1064E Mezzanine RAID Controller; This server already have installed 4 HDD SAS 600 GB and I want to install additional 4 HDD;

Because I need to export all the 8 HDD in HBA Mode as it is now, i've buy a LSI Megaraid 9211-8i (which is know as one of the best FreeNAS SAS Controller) but i need to buy another SFF-8087 cable to connect the extender to the controller.

I've search everywhere for the correct cable (R210-SASCBL-002=      Long SAS Cable for C210 (connects to SAS Extender) ) but without results.

Can i connect the Controller with the Extender with a SFF-8087 standard cable as this : https://www.startech.com/Cables/Drive/SAS/50cm-Serial-Attached-SCSI-SAS-Cable-SFF-8087-to-SFF-8087~SAS878750

Sorry for my english.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Alfredo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Alfredo,

I have the LSI MegaRaid 9261-8i with SAS Extender (max 8 SAS disks).
With standard SAS Cable the drives are not reconized but with Cisco cable everything is fine.
I checked the pinout on the cable and there is some differences "like cross / straight" cable.

I never used other controllers type.

Have a nice day,
Stéphane

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello Alfredo,

Last year, I had this problem too and tried to use a standard SFF-8087 / SFF-8087 with the SAS Extender, unfortunately the pinout is not the same and drives are not detected by the Raid controler.

Today, I have two other C210 M2 UCS and I could not find any other Cisco Long SAS cable as the product is end of sales since 2015...

I will try to use the Short SAS Cable (SASCBLSHORT-003) which has some spare parts on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-SASCBLSHORT-003-2-Short-SAS-Cables-for-UCS-C210-Server-for-SAS-Expand-/252678925596?hash=item3ad4d66d1c:g:ctgAAOSwnHZYTpKH). I hope the length will be sufficient and that the pinout is the same as the long cable because it is made for SAS Expander.

Have a nice day,
Stéphane

Hello Stéphane,

thanks for your reply, I've still not tried the SAS Extender with the LSI 9211-8i Controller and the Standard SFF Cable buyed a month ago. I have also a Cisco UCS C210-M2 LFF with 2 SATA HDD and i've tried to install only the controller and all things gone right.

Have you tried using the Cisco 9261-8i or an OEM Controller. I've asking this becouse maybe it's the controller that not recognize the Extender with the Standard Cable.

Kindly Regards

Alfredo

Hello Alfredo,

I have the LSI MegaRaid 9261-8i with SAS Extender (max 8 SAS disks).
With standard SAS Cable the drives are not reconized but with Cisco cable everything is fine.
I checked the pinout on the cable and there is some differences "like cross / straight" cable.

I never used other controllers type.

Have a nice day,
Stéphane

Hi Stéphane,
 as you said, yesterday I've installed the two short cable to the customer server with positive result with my LSI 9211-8i controller.
Many thanks
Alfredo

Hi Alfredo,

Great news ! It's also good to know.

I wish you all the best for the futur with your servers !
Stéphane

Hi Alfredo,

I received yesterday the "short" sas cable by Cisco and it worked! In fact, short cables are only 12cm shorter than long sas cables :-)

So if you don't find long cable on internet, you may buy short one.

Regards,
Stéphane

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card