Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO C220 M5 Hypervisor Installation?

Scott4891
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

I just need to confirm that the Cisco C220 M5SX blades have embedded LSI controller, which hypervisor hides the drives from the ESXi installer? ESXi 5.5.0 (yes i know, environment limited)

I have configured the drives in RAID 1, as a bootable and still doesn't find the drives. Tried in Legacy and UFEI mode and still unable to find. When I have tired to do some research I came across that it is recommended that you use one of the PCI or Mezzanine base controllers?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html#wp1028426

I am failing to understand if its driver or firmware or actual controller? It just doesn't make any sense.. I don't have any experience with CISCO products...

I guess I am asking where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

If you are referring to the embedded 'software raid/MegaRaid_SR', then no, ESXi does not support it, and you won't be able to make it work.  You can leave the drives in jbod/AHCI mode, and then esxi will see the individual drives, albeit in a non-redundant config.

I would also suspect you would have issues with CPU support when trying to use the newer CPUs with the old OS.

Kirk...

no esxi software support for MR-sr.JPG

Thanks Kirk,

Yeah, i have set it up as jbod/AHCI and ESXi still doesn't see the individual drives!

Everything i have seen, a minimum of 6.5 for these blades.

As I suspected thank you!

Regards,

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card