Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Custom ISO - ESX 5.5 Update 2 - Upgrade fails - Conflicting VIBS

Richard Simmons
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I receive the following error when trying to upgrade from the Cisco Custom ISO ESX 5.5 Update 1 to Update 2;

<CONFLICTING_VIBS ERROR: Vibs on the host are conflicting with vibs in metadata. Remove the conflicting vibs or use Image Builder to create a custom ISO providing newer versions of the conflicting vibs.

['Broadcom_bootbank_net-bnx2_2.2.5d.v55.2-10EM.550.0.0.1331820', Broadcom_bootbank_net-bnx2_2.2.5d.v55.2-10EM.550.0.0.1331820']>

-- Screen shot attached ---

I have upgrade the host with HUU 2.0.3d-1.

There are several posts on the vmware forums about a similar issue to this but for the HP custom ISO, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Richard

21 Replies 21

shetty.sudeep06
Level 1
Level 1

Yesterday i had similar issues while upgrading ESXi 5.0 to 5.5 using CISCO custom ISO. Later i have downloaded ESXi 5.5 from vmware site and upgraded successfully without any errors.

I already opened a defect for this since I was working the TAC case regarding this issue.

CSCus06653

But feel free to verify.

Thanks!

Tray

Thanks for the heads up, Tray. I will check it out.,

Thanks.

-Bruce

I got the same error with CISCO custom Image during my upgrade from 5.5 update1 to 5.5 update2  on B200M3, I've downloaded ISO image from VMware site and did upgrade, it worked fine. 

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

do you happen to be using Nexus 1000v and this server is one of the VEMs the N1Kv manages?

-Kenny

Hi Kenny,

This server was part of the BE6000 bundle, when trying to complete the upgrade there were no guests configured on the host and its not running Nexus 1000v.

Server is: UCSC-C220-M3S

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

I am not 100% sure, but did you check you can upgrade the BE6K?  For what I knew those boxes come as a bundle and then you just plug&play.  Did you have a particular reason to upgrade, like trying to get rid of a bug or something?

-Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I'm not aware of any restrictions on upgrading either the CIMC or ESX with the BE6K - I have done many deployments previous to this and have upgraded them all to the latest release.

I would raise a TAC case but its not causing an issue running on 5.5 U1 so will leave it for now.

Thanks,

Rihcard

ok np, so I bet you checked the drivers for that Broadcom card (bnx driver) the message complaints about?

-Kenny

Okay... so I believe I've worked out what is going on here. ESX 5.5 includes newer Broadcom drivers than what is included with 5.5 U2. I had to downgrade the driver prior to doing the ESXi update as follows:

1. Download from http://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-BROADCOM-BNX2X-17A10V551&productId=353

2. Copy to the /tmp folder on the ESXi server

3. Install using "esxcli software vib install --depot=/tmp/BCM-NetXtremeII-4.0-offline_bundle-1796156.zip" from the CLI

4. Reboot server

5. Upgrade to ESXi 5.5 U2

This process allowed me to successfully upgrade from 5.5 Base to 5.5 U2 without any further errors or issues.

Hi ablomfield,

Thank you for that update and information. That does make perfect sense. Of course why ESXi 5.5 would have a later bnx2 driver than 5.5 U2 does not. I will have to try to do that myself. If it remains consistent, as i suspect it wil;l, then I will opena defect, so that they can correct the driver version in the U2 iso.

Thanks for that!

-Bruce

Hi Richard,

I just had someone open a case for the exact same issue that you have reported. I am not yet sure if he is seeing ['Broadcom_bootbank_net-bnx2_2.2.5d.v55.2-10EM.550.0.0.1331820', Broadcom_bootbank_net-bnx2_2.2.5d.v55.2-10EM.550.0.0.1331820']>

I am waiting for more information. However, he is also running a UCSC-C220-M3SBE. I am trying to confirm CIMC firmware version.

I will update, when I have something more concrete to report.

Thanks,

-Bruce

Update: So, the issue is exactly the same. They are using an Intel Quad port adapter and the error is related to the bnx2 Broadcom driver. They are running CIMC firrnware 2.0(3f).

We were able to upgrade to ESXi 5.5 U1 but not U2, so there appears to be an issue with the iso. I am looking into that.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the update, we also have the Intel Quad port adapter so this does appear to be the same issue.

I appreciate you taking the time to update this post and look forward to hearing the outcome of this.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,

You are very welcome. As soon as I have more information, or if I end up filing  a defect, I will update you.

Thanks.

-Bruce

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card