Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jeffrey Foster
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Cisco C-Series Cisco Integrated Management Controller (CIMC) software  delivers many new features and capabilities including enhancements to the Host Upgrade Utility (HUU). The Host Upgrade Utility enables users to update their CIMC, BIOS, LOM, RAID Controllers, PCI adapters and Cisco VIC cards from a single interface. In previous versions of HUU, an interactive menu-driven command line interface was the only option provided to update system BIOS, CIMC, adapter firmware, and LAN on Motherboard (LOM).

Enhancements to HUU include adding an interactive graphical user interface to HUU and adding non-interactive update capabilities for single-system and multiple-system updates for no touch upgrades of Cisco C-Series Server firmware. Updates can be applied using the bootable image in the HUU ISO which can be mounted via vMedia to boot host to HUU and triggered through the KVM using an interactive update interface. Other tools offering non-interactive updates include a Python update tool and a Microsoft Windows-based tool, both of which offering single-system and multi-system update capabilities.

The Host Update Utility (HUU) is a tool that helps users to update the various levels of firmware running on their system including:

• CIMC
  • BIOS
  • LAN on Motherboard (LOM)
  • RAID Controllers
  • PCI Adapters
  • Cisco Virtual Interface Cards (VIC)

For more information on using the Interactive Utility or the Python Non-Interactive Utility, check out the Getting Started with HUU Guide available here.

Links to Getting Started Videos:

In this video we will use the native utility to update a single system using vKVM attached media and the new HUU Graphical User Interface to update a single system.

In this video we will use the Python Tool to update a single system by passing configuration flags and options through the CLI to a remote target. This is the recommended update process for a one-time update to a single system.

In this video we will use the Python Tool to update a group of systems using a configuration file. We will walk through the encryption setup process for the target CIMC as well as the remote share and how to reference these encrypted files in an update script. This is the recommended update process for updating multiple systems concurrently.

****NOTE: For IMC 3.x and above, Python >= 2.7.9 and OpenSSL >= 1.0.1 are required. For IMC 4.1(3) and above, Python 3 is required. 

Download the Utilities:

***New IMC 4.3(3.240022) utilities are posted! Scripts are updated on an "as needed basis" and do not necessarily match the latest release.

Comments
Greg Wilkinson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi there,

Timeout needs to be a minimum of 60, and once this is addressed, the command should run as expected.

Thank you!
waynehendricks
Level 1
Level 1
export PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY=0

If the CIMC has a self-signed certificate you may need to set this before you run the python update script

Scott Olsen
Level 6
Level 6

These simply do not seem to work.

Process Process-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\multiprocessing\process.py", line 267, in _bootstrap
self.run()
File "C:\Python27\lib\multiprocessing\process.py", line 114, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File "D:\ISOs\C240 Firmware\Python_tools_4_0_1a\update_firmware-4.0.1a_mod.py", line 3316, in HuuHandleFirmwareUpdate
responseData = HuuProcessPendingWork(logger, work)
File "D:\ISOs\C240 Firmware\Python_tools_4_0_1a\update_firmware-4.0.1a_mod.py", line 3281, in HuuProcessPendingWork
work.HuuUpdateSendFirmwareUpdate(logger)
File "D:\ISOs\C240 Firmware\Python_tools_4_0_1a\update_firmware-4.0.1a_mod.py", line 830, in HuuUpdateSendFirmwareUpdate
responseData = self.ConfigConfMo(logger)
File "D:\ISOs\C240 Firmware\Python_tools_4_0_1a\update_firmware-4.0.1a_mod.py", line 1777, in ConfigConfMo
configMoRequest = configMoRequest.replace('remoteIpValue', self.remoteShareIp)
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
[Critical]: Pressed ctrl c

python --version
Python 2.7.16

>>> import ssl
>>> ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION
'OpenSSL 1.0.2q 20 Nov 2018'

Attempting to go from 2.0 to 3.0.

Scott Olsen
Level 6
Level 6

Made it a bit further.  Now the scripts seem to fail mounting the HUU iso, despite us being able to mount it manually via the Web GUI.

The following is noted in the CIMC log from the kernel:

<3>CIFS VFS: bad security option: "0

Greg Wilkinson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott - do you have any additional failure details from the logs generated while running the scripts? By default the logs will be in the same directory from which you ran the update. 

Scott Olsen
Level 6
Level 6

Okay... so, we've moved to trying to feed these via a simple WWW server and mounting that way.

I'm doing some test runs and I'm running into either a latency, bandwidth, or timeout issue when attempting to boot the DVD ISO over a WAN link (about 10Mbps).  It gets the HUU nearly fully loaded and then the server is being restarted and it tries again?

Is there some way to prevent this or modify any relevant timeouts?  These sites are remote and we really need to somehow be able to do this in an automated fashion.

Greg Wilkinson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott - yes update_timeout is one of the parameters in the config file. You can try a few different values here. If you are able to ping me offline g-r-e-w-i-l-k-i at cisco dot com (no dashes), we can try connecting directly. 

YanL
Level 1
Level 1

Hello where can I find the Microsoft Utility? The hyperlink in the first post is broken and cannot see a Windows type file in the downloads. 

p.s. we are looking to upgrade multiple Cisco APIC C-Series servers, some are M3 and some are M4. ACI 4.1.1i recommends:

4.0(2f) CIMC HUU ISO (recommended) for UCS C220/C240 M4

3.0(4j) CIMC HUU ISO (recommended) for UCS C220/C240 M3

I'm looking at the .tar file downloads but unsure which files I need. It would be helpful if a file index existed with a brief description of their purpose/CIMC version supported.

tks

Greg Wilkinson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello - we do not have a Window utility. The tools are linux based only. 

YanL
Level 1
Level 1

This text led me to believe a Windows tool was available.

"Other tools offering non-interactive updates include a Python update tool and a Microsoft Windows-based tool, both of which offering single-system and multi-system update capabilities."

Yan

Greg Wilkinson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
fmadlenerr
Level 1
Level 1
hi, i get "Could not get response from CIMC" but with SSH it work fine or with a browser i get to the cimc page and can login. The version 4 Tool also ping and nmap without a problem. Some idea? ERROR: 2019-06-24 17:58:43,915 - Process-1 - 36436 - Could not get response from CIMC (10.x.x.x). ERROR: 2019-06-24 17:58:43,917 - Process-1 - 36436 - Login to CIMC (10.x.x.x) failed. No response received from CIMC DEBUG: 2019-06-24 17:58:43,937 - MainProcess - 19416 - Found an entry in the completion queue for processing INFO: 2019-06-24 17:58:43,937 - MainProcess - 19416 - Processing the completion status of a request WARNING: 2019-06-24 17:58:43,937 - MainProcess - 19416 - Login attempt for CIMC 10.x.x.x failed 1 times.
Greg Wilkinson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are able to ping me offline g-r-e-w-i-l-k-i at cisco dot com (no dashes), we can try connecting directly. I would need details on system model and FW versions as well. 

japarmar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am getting following error while running this script. I am running firmware version 4.0(4c) and trying to upgrade to 4.0(4d.). Is following problem on my UCS CIMC or the linux machine that I am using for executing this script?

Linux machine where I am running this script has SSL version "OpenSSL 1.0.2g"

Update Summary:
---------------

Firmware update failed for CIMC - x.x.x.x, Error - CIMC login failed. SSL version on server is older than 1.0 and is not compatible.

rocrouch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The links to all of the HUU videos seem to be broken, Can someone fix this?

Error is:

SAS ERROR

Invalid Authorization Response

RELOAD YOUR SCREEN OR TRY SELECTING A DIFFERENT VIDEO

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: