Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS Blades upgrade from UCSB-B200-M4-U to UCSB-B200-M5-U

Hey guys, hope you are doing well.

I have UCSB-B200-M4-U running in my production environment and I want to upgrade Blades to UCSB-B200-M5-U.

Now I have not been able to find any specific document that can help me, if someone can please tell me how I will start the process, I mean if I have to take backups for network configuration and e.t.c. Other than that I don't want to effect performance of my users as previous blades are running in production environment right now.

If any one can share some document or someone can share steps that I can follow that will be helpful.

Following are the details:

OS is installed on local disk.

B200-M4-U servers are running on local boot. 

vNICs and vHBA are configured in service profile on existing B200 M4:
-For Windows/Linux (Per Blade): 2x vHBA & 2 vNICs
-For Vmware (Per Blade): 2x vHBA & 8 vNICs
Chip set details:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2660 v3

Other details are attached below:

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Trying to forklift an existing OS from one server to a different platform (chipset, cpu, etc) is usually going to encounter issues at the OS level. 

Taking a service profile from a B200M4, and then applying to B200M5, and moving physical drives over would generally require the following steps:

• Make sure existing local disk config policy has the 'protect config' option enabled, while the service profile is still active on the B200M4.
  • Make sure you don't have any active 'scrub' policies before disassociating the service profile from the M4 server.
  • Follow any OS vendor recommended pre-move activities such as staging new drivers/chipset in OS prior to shutting down.
  • From the OS, record the list of NICs, IP addresses, and MAC addresses (VMware/esxi especially may see the VMNIC ordering differently on a different VIC card)
  • Power off M4 server, disassociate service profile.
  • Move drives over to M5 blade, keeping same drive slot association
  • You may/may not have to deal with service profile association errors (i.e. boot order references, b200m4/m5 specific BIOS policy options that may not apply)
  • On first boot up after SP association, you will want to have KVM active, and acknowledge importing the 'foreign' config that the B200M5's raid controller sees during POST time.
  • If you have issues with service profile association on the B200M5 due to local disk policy, you may need to change the local disk policy from raid 1(I'm assuming this is what you have) to 'any config'
  • Definitely do this on a test server first.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirk...

Hi kirk
Currently we are running Four UCS B200 M4 blades servers and we have Four empty slots in that chassis, in these empty slots we want to install B200 M5 blades servers.

So the process is going to be same or do I need to make some amends.
Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card