cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ucs c220 m4 how can i boot with the cisco sas 12g controller ? UEFI server 2012 installation issues

tian chen
Level 1
Level 1

first time with cisco ucs c220 m4 ,check my pictures

50 Replies 50

Hi Tian,

Did you get this working, what did you do to get it working if so? Thanks

Summary of checklist items for UEFI boot:

• Boot mode, change from default legacy, to UEFI
  • In advanced BIOS settings, confirm PCI-E slot for raid card is set to UEFI only
  • Boot order entry that generically boots to localdisk.  On later firmware you will need to specify the 'slot'.  For 12Gb raid card, this will be 'HBA' slot.
  • When booting Windows ISO via KVM virtual media, make sure you you hit F6 (boot menu), and choose UEFI KVM virtual DVD.  Booting the UEFI virtual DVD mode is crucial for the the OS installer to realize it is a UEFI install, and for it to trigger a UEFI boot menu entry creation.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk - worked a treat.

Hi Krik

I followed same steps but i couldnt install windows 2008 as i get dropped in UEFI shell and cannot progress further. can you please advise what else i missed. attached all screenshots in pdf file.

You have an 11TB VD.

Only way to boot to this is using UEFI.

You'll need to enable UEFI in the boot order.

Anything over 2 TB and over, and 4K sector size drives require UEFI boot option.

BIOS won't handle the VDs when UEFI is managing.

Kirk...

***Summary for those searching with similar issue:

• Customer had large VD created, 11TB
  • 2 TB and greater, 4K sector drives, require UEFI boot + GPT, can't use legacy/MBR
  • Needed to define boot option for local HD, that referenced the PCI-E Slot the raid controller was in (HBA slot in this case)
  • In UEFI mode, cannot mark a VD as 'bootable/boot drive'
  • You will not see the VD/raid controller show up in the 'actual' boot order during OS install.
  • Once the UEFI compatible OS install is done, it will create an UEFI boot entry for the OS, "Windows Boot Manager" in our case.
  • After the next reboot, if you check your boot order, you should see the UEFI OS Boot Manager entry present.

switch to uefi ,   can't set vd0 as boot device

Don't think you need to worry about that.

As long as your cimc designated boot order references the localHDD for slot HBA,, try booting the Windows install media.  Windows should create an UEFI boot entry, that will show back up in your F2, boot order next time after Windows install.

Kirk...

ty , i will try

I'm attempting to load a C240 M4 from a bootable USB thumb drive and encountering the same issues.  Suggestions?

For those (like me) who have an existing server OS on MBR but then convert the OS to GPT, there's an additional step or Windows won't boot:

After enabling the BIOS boot and HBA PCIe for UEFI:

Simply changing these BIOS options does NOT create a "Windows Boot Manager" entry in the boot order, which is required for Windows to boot. What created a "Windows Boot Manager" option for me was:

1. Launch KVM

2. Activate virtual media

3. Map the Server 2019 ISO

4. Boot the server to the ISO as UEFI:WIN_SVR_2019 (ISO name)

5. Get the Windows installation to the point where it's time to wipe/create partitions, then just reboot.

6. Viola. "Windows Boot Manager" is now in the boot order.

Thanks for finding this trick Ryan. It saved me alot of headache tonight a half a year later.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure the VD0 (your raid 5 volume) is also marked as 'boot drive = true'. I think that is enabled but hard to read from the screen shot.

You should be able to set this from the CIMC, storage tab, VDs, select VD0, and look for 'boot drive' option.

Also, make sure you have a boot order entry for local HD that references your raid card (slot HBA).

It would be helpful if you take a screen shot of your boot order on the CIMC boot order settings screen.

Thanks,

Kirk...

vd0 its mark boot drive.  but i can't see the raid card  in boot order.

Please send a screen shot of the CIMC (server tab, BIOS, boot order) screen.

Thanks,

Kirk...

boot order is empty 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card