Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS C220 with VIC 1225

SalmanHKhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have Cisco UCS C220 M3 with VIC 1225 card installed. We connected only one 10G port of VIC 1225 to Nexus 5548UP switch. But I do not see this port on switch and in CIMI the status for this port shows Link Down. I wanted to to iSCSI boot from storage NetApp FAS2240 but since I don't see this port on my Nexus switch I am unable to do boot from NetApp. I tried both ports on VIC 1225 with same result. Please I need help in this matter. I know I am missing something very simple but can't figure this out.

Thanks,

Salman

6 Replies 6

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hello Salmanhkhan,

-What slot is this card installed in?

-How many CPUs does the server have installed? (1 OR 2 CPUs can make the difference)

-Is the PCIe slot enabled in BIOS? << Let us know if you don't know how to check it from CIMC

-Have you confirmed that the cable is good?

-If the switch does not even see the port and CIMC says it is down, have you confirmed the switch port is properly configured?

-What is the firmware running on the server and the OS?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

-Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Here is the answers:

Mezzenine

-How many CPUs does the server have installed? (1 OR 2 CPUs can make the difference)

2x 2.90 GHz E5-2690/135W 8C/20MB Cache/DDR3 1600MHz

-Is the PCIe slot enabled in BIOS? << Let us know if you don't know how to check it from CIMC

I believe I did. Server>BIOS>BIOS advanced> PCIe (Let me know if this correct)

-Have you confirmed that the cable is good?

I have changed four cables. I am using SFP-H10GB-CU2M= Twinax cable.

-If the switch does not even see the port and CIMC says it is down, have you confirmed the switch port is properly configured?

CIMI says “Link Down” in VIC adapter General area. The switch interface config has only “switchport mode access” in default vlan 1.

-What is the firmware running on the server and the OS?

We upgraded the firmware with latest ucs-c220-huu-1.5.4-3.iso.

Let me share with you the complete BoM of the server:

UCSC-C220-M3S              1x  UCS C220 M3 SFF w/o CPU  mem  HDD  PCIe  PSU  w/ rail kit

UCS-CPU-E5-2690              2x  2.90 GHz E5-2690/135W 8C/20MB Cache/DDR3 1600MHz

UCS-MR-1X082RY-A    16x 8GB DDR3-1600-MHz RDIMM/PC3-12800/dual rank/1.35v

CAB-9K10A-UK              2x  Power Cord 250VAC 10A BS1363 Plug (13 A fuse) UK

UCSC-PCIE-CSC-02    1x           Cisco VIC 1225 Dual Port 10Gb SFP+ CNA

UCSC-PCIE-QSFP              1x  Qlogic QLE8242-CU Dual Port 10 GbE FCoE CNA

UCSC-HS-C220M3              2x  Heat Sink for UCS C220 M3 Rack Server

UCSC-RAIL1              1x  Rail Kit for C220 C22 C24 rack servers

Salmanhkhan

Mezzenine  <<<<   The VIC 1225 cannot be in the Mezzanine slot, cause it is a PCIe card.

Please confirm the slot the card is in and attach an screenshot of : Server > BIOS > Configure BIOS, > Advanced  >

PCI Configuration

-Kenny

Kenny,

It came installed from Cisco when we ordered it. I will confirm this for you tomorrow as soon as I get to office.

Salman

Hi Kenny,

You are right the VIC 1225 is installed in PCIe1 slot not mazzinine. I mixed that up in my explaination above. PCIe1 was disable in the BIOS. My VIC card is up and UCS login into ISCSI with NetApp storage. So it is working fine. Thanks.

The new problem I have now is when I installed Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 via KVM I do not see my partition. I see NetApp in the UCS BIOS with Boot option 1. My NetApp LUN ID is 0 and I configured ISCSI with LUN ID 0 on vNIC ISCSI as well.

Do you have any idea why windows not see the partition drive during installation

Salman

Salman,

You are trying to see the local disks during the installation?  If yes, please be sure you are looading the drivers for the RAID controller so your installer can communicate with the hardware properly and then show the disks.

To see the drives for a windows install you will need to mount the  drivers ISO (avalible from cisco.com), choose the Intel C600 folder from  the mounted ISO and then scan the drives for install.  See the attached  screenshots (just select the proper Windows version):

WINDOWS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS     .PNG

Let me know if that is not what you needed.

Note: Don't forget to mark your question as answered if it is, so other future users see that you found the solution you were looking for.

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: