cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS Central - what is the situation with the base free licensing?

GREG W.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

We have taken over responsibility for managing a 2 domain Cisco UCS environment and wish to centralize some management and all monitoring via Cisco UCS Central.

It appears that the original 'Initial bundled 5 Domain License' may no longer be available:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-b-series-blade-servers/eos-eol-notice-c51-737558.html

Is this the case? Is it that the once free '5 domains' is no longer an option, and 'UCS Multi-Domain Manager (Central) Per Domain License' is required?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Greg

It is in fact very difficult to find, but I think the follwoing terminated the 5 free licenses concept:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/ucs-central/GUI-User-Guides/Getting-Started/1-4/b_CiscoUCSCentral_Getting_Started_Guide/b_CiscoUCSCentral_Getting_Started_Guide_chapter_0101.html

Cisco UCS Central, release 1.4 introduces Smart Licensing, along with the traditional PAK based licensing. Cisco Smart licensing is simple, flexible and smart way of procuring, deploying and managing licenses in your environment. For more information on smart licensing, see http:/​/​www.cisco.com/​web/​ordering/​smart-software-licensing/​index.html

You can have smart licensing and traditional licensing in your system at the same time. But only one type licensing can be active. The following are the differences between traditional and smart licensing:

Traditional Licensing Smart Licensing

Licenses are associated with registered domains.

Dynamic licensing. Licenses are associated with products and transferable within the virtual account.

You must obtain a license and manually download and install it on each device in Cisco UCS Central.

No license installation is necessary. The device initiates an HTTPS call home session and requests the licenses it is configured to use.

Licenses are associated with specific domains.

License pools are account-specific and can be used with any device in your company

Licenses are not easily transferable from one device to another.

Licenses can be transferred between product instances without any software installation. You can transfer unused licenses from one virtual account to another.

Hi Walter, thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Yep, I saw that article, however it doesnt really say with clarity that the initial licenses are no longer available. nothing that I could find specifically confirmed this. The closest I got was the page I linked which indicated EOL for the initial 5 purchase code, with the replacement code seemingly not having the 'initial 5 domains' as a feature anymore. I think the jury is still out - but the verdict looks undeniably likely to be unfavorable!

Hi Greg

I think this table clearly explains the new licensing

The last day to order the affected product(s) is October 14, 2016.

Due to the fact that this is asking for money, which was free before isn't widely announced ! (although previously license up to 5 nodes was free, you had to pay for support)

End-of-Sale Product
Part Number

Product Description

Replacement Product Part Number

Replacement Product Description

Additional Information

C1-UCC-1

Cisco ONE Foundation UCS Central per Server

C1-UCS-MDMGR-1S

Cisco ONE UCS Multi-Domain Manager (Central) Per Server Lic

L-UCS-CTR-INI

UCS Central Initial Activation for 5 UCS Domains

UCS-MDMGR-1DMN

UCS Multi-Domain Manager (Central) Per Domain License

L-UCS-CTR-INI=

UCS Central Initial Activation for 5 UCS Domains

UCS-MDMGR-1DMN=

L-UCS-CTR-LIC

UCS Central Per UCS Domain License

UCS-MDMGR-1DMN

L-UCS-CTR-LIC=

UCS Central Per UCS Domain License

UCS-MDMGR-1DMN=

UCS-CTR-LIC

UCS Central Per UCS Domain License (Physical)

UCS-MDMGR-1DMN

UCS-CTR-LIC=

UCS Central Per UCS Domain License (Physical)

UCS-MDMGR-1DMN=

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: