Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCS Platform Emulator, Release 3.1(1ePE1)

To download the Platform Emulator, please go to the downloads page (login required)

New Features and Significant Changes in Cisco UCS PE, Release 3.1(1ePE1)

• Unified release supporting all platforms and components (e.g., UCS Classic, UCS Mini, and UCS Modular Servers)
  • UCSM 3.1(1e) with HTML5 (Java version still available)
  • Emulation of full scale configuration (same scaling as UCSM 3.1(1e))
  • Dynamic insertion, removal, and modification of components without restarting the Platform Emulator

New Platform Emulator GUI Features

• Single "Inventory" Navigation Pane with expandable Equipment menu
  • Icon based control and menus in the Content/Work Pane (see User Guide for icon descriptions and functions)
  • NOTE: Browser focus follows UCSM when HTML5 UCSM is launched.  HTML5 UCSM can be opened in a New Tab/Window if there is a need to continue viewing the PE Navigation Pane.

New Hardware Features

See the User Guide for additional details on supported Hardware.  Here is a summary of M4 and 3rd Generation Fabric Interconnect Hardware:

• Cisco UCS Fabric Interconnect 6332
  • Cisco UCS Mini Fabric Interconnect 6324
  • Cisco UCS I/O Module 2304
  • Cisco UCS Fabric Extender C2348
  • Cisco UCS Blade Server Chassis 5108
  • Cisco UCS M-Series Chassis 4308
  • Cisco UCS B200/B420 M4 Blade Server
  • Cisco UCS Scalable M4 Blade Module (2S/4S)
  • Cisco UCS C220/C240 M4 Rack Server
  • Cisco UCSME M4 Modular Server
  • Cisco Blade Server Adapter VIC 1340/1380
  • Cisco Rack Server Adapter VIC 1387/1385

Known Limitations

• Imported configurations should be manually checked to ensure there are no missing or unsupported components.  If issues are experienced following an import, any unsupported components can be manually deleted and missing components manually added through the Equipment menu on the Navigation pane.
  • Firmware Management and Firmware Auto Install have not been fully validated in this release.  See below for additional information on Firmware Management using metadata files.

Firmware Management Note: UCS PE supports uploading B-Series, C-Series, and M-Series server firmware bundles.  Because of the large file sizes of the firmware bundles, UCS PE only supports uploading of stripped-down versions (link below).  Stripped-down versions include only the firmware metadata (not the actual firmware binaries).

Comments
amadsen7193
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to use Full State I get an error that says:

descr="internal database backup(FSM-STAGE:sam:dme:MgmtBackupBackup:backupLocal)"

lastUpdateTime="2016-08-28T18:15:18Z"

name="backupBackupLocal"

order="1"

retry="1"

stageStatus="fail"

dn="sys/backup-admin-1472408065643/fsm/stage-backupBackupLocal"

status="created"

sacl="addchild,del,mod"

The only kind of backup I can get is the "All Configuration" and FSM steps show the same time as the file created.

Andrew

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A quick note that a full state backup can be used to restore a Fabric Interconnect, but you cannot import the file using the Cisco UCS Manager GUI/API.  All Configuration is the best option for backup/import from the GUI or API.

A couple more questions:

• Is your all configuration backup showing success on the FSM and a matching time for the file, but the content does not match what is configure?
  • What sort of platform are you running the emulator on (Windows/Mac/etc. VMware player/fusion/etc.)?

With the full state backup failing with a status error, I would suggest a Restart of UCSPE Processes (s from the VM console).  Note that this will reset your configuration (same as a VM reboot), so you will want to take a backup beforehand (sounded like SCP was allowing you to take a backup). 

I'm suspecting that there are issues with some UCSPE processes (like the HTTP daemon).  You can check the status of some of the processes from the Equipment content pane ("i" icon at the top).  A restart of processes usually gets things back in working order and allows for complete HW rediscovery (it is a more complete restart than a VM reboot).

Let me know of other questions and if there are continued issues after a processes restart.

amadsen7193
Level 1
Level 1

I did some more testing this morning. I have given up on a full system backup as I cannot get it to work with either the HTML5 or the Java Console. This morning I tried to import a fresh All Configuration backup using the HTML5 console and it failed on the last step which is the report stage. It did that with merge and replace radio buttons selected. I then tried it with the Java Console and was successful on the first attempt with replace selected. I did not even try it with Merge. I will restart the processes and try the import with both consoles again and let you know.

FYI the only “i” I saw just tells me what version of UCSM I am running and no processes information.

Andrew

amadsen7193
Level 1
Level 1

After a reset of processes I tried importing an all configuration XML via the HTML5 console and got this error:

FSM:FAILED]: import configuration(FSM:sam:dme:MgmtImporterImport). Remote-Invocation-Error: Failed to parse the input file, xml does not contain config

I then attempted to import it through the Java Console and it was a success. The source of the latest attempt was a backup using the HTML5 console.

Andrew

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you post the XML file that's currently giving the errors during import?  You should have an option on the communities page to Create->Upload. 

amadsen7193
Level 1
Level 1

I uploaded it and shared it with you.

amadsen7193
Level 1
Level 1

I have hit a bug with the emulator import to a physical device. The bug is described here:https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCut61136/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir the work around in this article however,  did not work for me. What I had to do is export a configuration off of the machine I wanted to import to, open that XML, copy the value for the admin password, and paste that into my new configuration file.

The bug report says it was fixed in 2.2(6c) and 3.1(1e) I tried on a 2.2(6e) and a 3.3(1h) level of code and the import failed on both until I did the editing.

Rajul.Parikh
Community Member

Hi All,

I am using UCS PE 3.1.1e..after configuring ethernet port as a server port ( chassis ) is not coming up! is it known bug ?

I cannot convert Ethernet port in to FC port!

I cannot config PC between FI and FAX ( UCS chassis )

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rajul,

The platform emulator manages server connectivity from the emulator equipment pages and management from within UCSM can conflict with those settings. Uplink port configuration also may not function as it would on HW because the emulator does not emulate any devices connected upstream.

If you can provide additional information on the specific steps performed within UCSM and port state before and after we can see if the behavior is expected.

Thanks.

chengli2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David,

I am trying to subscribe the UCS events. However, when I send <eventsubscribe> msg to UCS, I got no response, and the request is holding on for waiting the response. I also tried to change the config of UCS, but I can not receive any event. How to listen to UCS event? Can you please help?  More detailed info is here How to receive async event from UCS?

Thank you very much!

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I’ve added some info on event subscriptions on the separate post: https://communities.cisco.com/thread/78529

himkhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Cisco,

I am trying to launch UCSPE_3.1.1e but it is not loading in my browser. I have tried, chrome, IE and Firefox. I am using VM workstation player to launch it and then use the VIP IP address into my browser but it says "the page can not be displayed". I am using Windows 10 and have the latest Java installed "Version 8 update 121", I have uninstalled java and reinstalled it but nothing is working. Could you please provide a possible solution? I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the VM console show IPs for the VIP, FIA, and FIB and are you able to ping all of those addresses from a Windows command prompt?

adamback2
Community Member

im having the same issue, its always post catalog build, the web services seem ok until then however without hardware

himkhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, it shows IPs for VIP, FIA and FIB but I am unable to ping from windows command prompt.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: