Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCS Platform Emulator, Release 4.1(2cPE1)

CONFIGURATION IMPORT NOTE:  Importing configuration backups (All, System, or Logical) taken from the UCS Platform Emulator (UCSPE) to physical UCS Manager domains is not recommended or supported by Cisco TAC.  UCSPE backups should only be imported to UCSPE domains.

New Features and Significant Changes in Cisco UCS PE, Release 4.0(4ePE1)

• Full scale emulation of UCS Manager 4.1(2c) with support for 64108 Fabric Interconnects.  Note that not all features present in UCS Manager 4.1(2c) are supported (see Known Limitations in the Release Notes).
  • New default HW config with 64108 Fabric Interconnects.
    • Additional example Hardware configurations have been attached below.  The attached UCSPE configs can be imported from the UCSPE Equipment page.
  • UCSPE is featured in a Cisco dCloud programmability demo.   The demo includes a comprehensive lab guide including the following content for Cisco UCS PowerTool and the Python SDK:
    • Overviews of PowerShell and Python programming environments with step-by-step usage instructions.
    • Code generation examples including code generation with UCS Manager's HTML5 interface.
    • Sample script creation and use with UCSPE.

Hardware Feature Summary

Please see the Release Notes for a complete list of supported Hardware.  Below is a summary:

• 64108 and 6454 Fabric Interconnects
  • C4200 Series Rack Server Chassis with C125 Rack Servers
  • M5 B-Series and C-Series servers including HX220C and HX240C
  • Cisco UCS S3260 chassis, servers, and storage controllers
  • NVMe-based PCIe storage options

Known Limitations

• The Platform Emulator does not support connections to Cisco Intersight to avoid the use of Intersight resources by emulated devices. The Intersight Device Connector has been disabled and the device connector menu in the UI is non-functional. You can use Intersight demo environments in the Cisco demo Cloud (https://dcloud.cisco.com/ ) and Cisco DevNet (https://developer.cisco.com/site/intersight/ ) to explore Intersight management of UCS.
  • Imported configurations should be manually checked to ensure there are no missing or unsupported components.  If issues are experienced following an import, any unsupported components can be manually deleted and missing components manually added through the Equipment menu on the Navigation pane.
  • Firmware Management and Firmware Auto Install have not been fully validated in this release.  If issues are experienced during FW download, please try alternate methods such as API based download (e.g., using PowerTool or Python SDK).  If issues are experienced with FW policies, please try excluding all components from the policy.
  • AAA-based authentication (LDAP, RADIUS, TACACs): The Platform Emulator accepts security configuration changes, but does not enforce local or remote password authentication.  Any username and password combination can successfully log into the Cisco UCS Manger UI with administrator privileges.
  • See the Release Notes for the complete list of Known Limitations.

IMPORTANT CONFIGURATION NOTE: Backup/Import of UCSM Configuration

• The Platform Emulator does not save UCSM configuration state across Emulator resets to avoid consistency issues in UCSM configuration and the emulator HW configuration.  To preserve UCSM state, UCSM backup and import operations can be performed.  See an example backup/import flow at PythonSDK for backup/restore (import) of UCSM config

Firmware Management: UCSPE supports uploading B-Series and C-Series server firmware bundles.  Because of the large file sizes of the firmware bundles, UCSPE only supports uploading of stripped-down versions (link below).  Stripped-down versions include only the firmware metadata (not the actual firmware binaries).

Download Instructions

MD5 hashes for downloads:

• ZIP: 5a1dedbf31ca75e9b06bfc70b99af28d
  • OVA: 8e18e8b872de3eaa14d57d7427ffaee8 
Comments

This version of the Platform Emulator, as well as version 4.0.4(e) does not allow the successful changing of Fabric Interconnect model. Selecting the options from the GUI simply leads to a broken web page. Please fix as it is quite useful to change the virtual Fabric Interconnect model to better replication a production environment.

MCG70160
Level 1
Level 1

Seems to me the changing FI feature does not work. I'm did a full clean of the devices, change FI a Mini and it won't change it. Not even a full restart. Please fix this.

r.heitmann
Level 1
Level 1

Changing the FI works fine for me:

* clean install of UCSPE

* wait to be safe one minute longer than it seems to be needed

* change the FI-Type (i'm using "UCS 6332 16UP" right now)

* wait 15 Minutes

that's it.

charuk
Level 1
Level 1

Has the download linked been broken?
I can not access the link.

(https://software.cisco.com/download/beta/1850014776)

RedHat Spike
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a Cisco UCS Platform Emulator 4.1(2cPE1) User Guide?

Dave-LC
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I was pretty competent in an older version of UCSPE to add and delete devices. But I was _really_ struggling with the device inventory in 4.1.2c until I found this YouTube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ8sHagBrzY

Hope this saves you some time.

grant.palmer
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings! Is this software still available? The download link does not appear to work any more, and there doesn't appear to be any other way of downloading this software other than through these forums.

Dave-LC
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The download links go to an empty cisco download page. Does one need permisisons to download the ova?

MMillward
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone struggling with the download link - I found opening it up in a different browser session allows me to login with my cisco.com account and access the software - could just be how the auth is handled from the community page to the software downloads page.

vevdokimov
Level 1
Level 1

How I can add Expander Card (UCS-MLOM-PT-01) to B200-M3 with 1240 VIC (UCSB-MLOM-40G-01) in UCS Platform Emulator?
Thank you in advance

jung_swen
Level 1
Level 1

I cant download the file, error meeage is: 

Bad Gateway

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Additionally, a 400 Bad Request error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Dave-LC
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I can access the download here: https://software.cisco.com/download/beta/1850014776

I think you have to be authenticated with CCO credentials.

lenovo_lcadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Couldn't access the download link with Chrome & Firefox, but Microsoft Edge works. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: