Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCSC-C240-M3S has an amber light

Soulmaker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

One of our disk has a amber light on it but when I login to vSphere Client all of the disk are showing normal. Does anyone have already encounter this issue.

10 Replies 10

robertdemay
Level 1
Level 1
Are there any warnings or errors in ucsm for that server?

No not on this server. But on the secondary server there is "System Board 0 SEL_FULLNESS---Upper Fatal" so unless these was labelled incorrectly then there is no other warning on that server that has amber light on one of the hard disk.

3.png

Robert,

Do you have access to the CIMC for the server that has the disk with the amber light?

If so, check the faults there as well as the storage tab for any issues.

Let me know what you see.

--

Niko

For some reason I couldn't access the CICM via browser. Not sure if it is enabled to be honest. I just see the IP address of CICM on the documentation that I have been given but when I am trying to access that IP via web doesn't seems to be working.

Try below command to get the cimc ip from ssh to esxi 

enum_instances OMC_IPMIIPProtocolEndpoint root/cimv2 | grep IPv4Address

For SEL alert, use below option from vsphere.

image.png

If you have not configured the cimc, use storcli (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146429 ) to get the disk stats (./storcli /c0 show all). 

Regards,

MJ

Hi MJ,

Thanks for your reply.

I am note really familiar in using this CIMC and I pretty much new to this. Not sure what you really means if you say "Try below command to get the cimc ip from ssh to esxi" will this command will give me the CICM IP if I didn't know? I tried accessing the SSH of the ESXi IP address but cannot connect at all. However, when I tries to access the SSH of the CIMC IP address listed on the documentation I was able to login but don't know which command to run and this IP address doesn't work when I access it directly on the browser. 

I also, don't see the option for the below on vShpere Client. 

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey

Hi MJ,

Thanks for your reply.

I am note really familiar in using this CIMC and I pretty much new to this. Not sure what you really means if you say "Try below command to get the cimc ip from ssh to esxi" will this command will give me the CICM IP if I didn't know? I tried accessing the SSH of the ESXi IP address but cannot connect at all. However, when I tries to access the SSH of the CIMC IP address listed on the documentation I was able to login but don't know which command to run and this IP address doesn't work when I access it directly on the browser. 

I also, don't see the option for the below on vShpere Client. 

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey

Please see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004746 for enabling SSH.

You can always schedule a maintenance window, and via physical KVM, reboot the server and hit F8 during post to confirm/configure the CIMC.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the comment below. Unfortunately, this server is located offshore and I won't have access to the Physical host. 

Once, I have enable the SSH on the IP address of the server is there any particular things I need to check there? Please note that I have access to the SSH of the CICM of the same server can I do on that instead?

Hi All,

Do you think I can just re-seat this disk that has the amber light active? Planning to do this while the host are running do  you think of anything that might failed? I am thinking this is a Raid 5 configuration. Is there a way I can check the Raid configuration using vShpere Client?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: