Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VM-FEX Parent Switch & Nexus 1K

michaelgitonga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm designing a Cisco UCS Blade server enviroment and want to use Cisco VM-FEX. I also have Cisco Nexus 5548UP and Nexus 7009 & 7004 datacenter switches. I need advice on the following:

1. What is the Parent switch for Cisco VM-FEX? Is it:
    • Cisco 6200 Fabric Interconnect?
    • Cisco Nexus 5500 switch with VM-FEX licences
  2. Also, can a Cisco Nexus 7000 switch be the parent switch for Cisco VM-FEX? If yes, what licensing is needed for the Nexus 7000 switch?
  3. When using VM-FEX in both Emulated and Pass-through modes, do I need to use Cisco Nexus 1000v switch in the Blade hosts?

Thank you.

Michael.

2 Replies 2

michaelgitonga
Level 1
Level 1

Also,

1. Can I use VMware DVS switch with VM-FEX or it has to be the Cisco Nexus 1000v?
  2. Does the VM-FEX feature work for FCoE traffic or its only Ethernet switching?

Thank you.

Michael.

Hello Michael,

1. VM-FEX Parent Switch (Controlling Bridge) could be

- Cisco 6100/6200 Fabric Interconnect : Support ESXi, Hyper-V and Redhat KVM

- Nexus 5500 switch, Nexus 6000 switch with VM-FEX license: Support ESXi

2. Nexus 7k is not supportted to be the parent switch

3. VM-FEX and Nexus 1000v are mutually exclusive on a single UCS blade. Also each VM-FEX interface is independnet     and one could have both emulated and pass-through mode on the same VM

4. Both VM-FEX and Nexus 1000v utilize VEM mondule on ESX host but they are different binary files. VM-FEX VEM

could be donwloaded from driver ISO

Downloads Home > Products > Servers - Unified Computing > Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server Software

> Unified Computing System (UCS) Drivers-2.1(2a)

5. VM-FEX currently only support Ethernet traffic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: