cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection Issue between UCS an Nexus 5 K

eblok2006
Level 1
Level 1

we have a problem connecting a new UCS system to Nexus 5K Switches.

Our main Problem ist that no traffic from UCS System is show on Nexus Switch.

I made a bare metal installation of VMWARE 6.5. on one blade and try to ping the VMNIC 0 IP from outside and the gateway from inside.

I made a mac trace of the mac - vmnic 0 . 
i can see the macaddress on the Fabric A, i can see that the VETH  connected to an uplink port of the nexus 5K .

with CDP Neigbour i can see the port of the 5K .

But if i want to trace the mac address on the Nexus5K Side.. into the Management VLAN no MAC with 00:25: will appear. 

The Port of the Nexus 5K ist of Course Trunk with VLAN Allowed ALL.

Which function can block the traffic between the FabricI Intercnnect and the Nexus ? 

Management VLAN is VLAN 11 

6 Replies 6

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you learning the mac address of the ESXi host in the correct VLAN in UCSM?

You need to tag the vNIC in ESXi with the correct management VLAN for it to show in UCSM on VLAN 11.

yes .. we are Tagging in ESXi the management Interface with VLAN 11 und

with Show mac address in the fabric interconnect we see the MAC Address into vlan 11 comming .... 

that ist not the Problem, i think the Problem is on Nexus Side ..if you make a Show mac address table on the nic  that is connected to the fabrc Interface it Shows absolut  nothing

the config file was not the last Version.

Actually we  have only 1 direct link from every Fabric Interconnect to

the Nexus.

Fabric A connect to Nexus 1 with 1 x 10G

Fabric B connect to Nexus 2 with 1 x 10

( we have of Course tryied to shutdown the second connect to avoid spanning tree Problems) also with only one Connection from Fabric A to 1 Nexus .. nothing is to see on the Nexus.

there are no Channel Ports defined in the running config, we want to solve the Basic Problem Prior to creating port channels

Can you send outputs of 'show vlan brief' ?

I believe you need to have L2 VLAN 11 defined in the VLAN database in order for Nexus to learn MAC in VLAN 11.

We have a solution.

We restarted both fabric interconects 2 times and aktivated und deactivated the Ports on the Cisco Nexus .

After ... restart .. port reset .. restart . port restart .

the mac addesses showed up  on the cisco Nexus side.

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So on Eth1/5, you are missing 'channel-group' config, whereas Eth1/6 has it. Can you correct this and see if it has any impact?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card