cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert UCS C240 M3 to Standalone?

Darren Starr
Level 4
Level 4

I have a C240 M3 in my data center which I'd like to convert back to CIMC/Standalone mode. 

Can someone please point me to the documentation on the topic? I seem to recall it used to be fairly easy to find, sadly, I'm drawing a blank on google

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The easiest way to do it is to plug in a physical KVM, boot the server, press F8 and select to reset the CIMC back to factory defaults.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The easiest way to do it is to plug in a physical KVM, boot the server, press F8 and select to reset the CIMC back to factory defaults.

Thanks!!! I didn’t want to do it until I was sure.

I somehow thought it was a more difficult process.

Hello all,

Indeed, resetting the CIMC seems a pretty simple way of doing it.

When doing this, what happens to the configurations of the server, to all the parameters that have been configured through a service profile ?

I need to take a S3260-M4 out of the UCS infrastructure and convert it to a standalone server...

Thanks for your help.

Gwendal

Yes, when you convert the server to standalone, all the service profile configuration is removed and the server will need to be configured as if it were fresh from the factory.

Hi Wes,

I appreciate this quick answer !

And what about the OS and the local storage data ? Does everything stay intact or do we need to re-install the OS ?

Thanks again.

Gwendal

If the OS is installed on the local disks it should remain in tact. Once you set the boot order to boot from local HDD, the data should be fine. You will just lose your vNIC/vHBA, BIOS policy, boot policy, etc from UCSM.

OK, thank you very much. This is what I had in mind, but I needed a confirmation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card