cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DAS for UCS on FC or SAS

nirajsomaiya
Level 1
Level 1

One of my client is looking for DAS option on standalone UCS. What options would be available to connect to DAS (FC or SAS) , what HBA can be used? Also was trying to find DAS options available to connect to UCS. Can some one help on options available.

3 Replies 3

tcerling
Level 4
Level 4

Could you please clarify a couple things?

I have always interpreted 'DAS' to mean Direct Attached Storage, i.e. storage that is within the same physical enclosure and connected with very short cables.  It sounds like you are using it in a different manner.  What do you mean when you say DAS?

Secondly, you are asking for 'standalone UCS'.  Could you be more specific about the model of UCS servers you are talking about?  By 'standalone' do you mean that the servers would NOT be connected to a fabric interconnect?

Hello,

yes , I mean Direct Attach storage connected to server on SAS. The server will not be used in virtual environment and will have windows OS 2012 and will not be connected on Fabric interconnect.

I would be proposing UCS C220-M4 and customer would like to have DAS most probably HP DAS.

Since most DAS interface have SAS interface, would like to understand how it would be connected to UCS server on what interface.

Similarly how to connect tape library as well.

Okay, we still don't agree on a definition for DAS.  The C240 comes with DAS - storage directly attached and in-box.  If you are talking about using an HP storage shelf, that means the storage is not directly attached but attached externally.  I guess  my definition goes back to the mainframe days when IBM first coined the term.  It's most likely morphed over time.

The specification sheets give you the options available to you.  Here is the location of the specification sheet for the C240 M4 SFF - http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c240m4-sff-spec…  In there you will see the Cisco 9300-8e 12G SAS HBA provides 8 SAS ports for external JBOD connectivity.  As for the tape library, you will need to talk with the tape library vendor about their requirements to see if they can play on this interface.  Not all tape libraries are created equal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card