cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

does UCS balde BIOS upgradation will affect running ESXI configuration or not?

rameshbilla
Level 1
Level 1

my Current running BIOS version is B230M2.1.4.3e.0.032920121829 and when I upgraded ESXI to ESXi 5.0.0 U3 Patch 12 Build 1489271. my blade UUID has been changed to all zero's. when I checked VMware they mentioned running BIOS version is not compatible and they asked me to upgrade to latest. so I want to update BIOS for MY blade but  this BIOS is not available in activated Firmware bundle. so I need to download and use it.  so my 1st question when I download new version bundle and activate it, does it affect (my previous activated )running production FI and Blades? 2nd question is When I only update the BIOS Version to latest and associate the same profile to blade does it affect my installed ESXI configurations?

1 Reply 1

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ramesh,

BIOS upgarde will require the server to reboot.The firmware bundle, which includes BIOS, when updated requires the blade server to reboot This will affect any running VM's on that server.It wont change the config of ESX however.

If the server is taking some values from a pre defined pool, for example like UUID pool, and this pool gets exhausted before the server boots up then there will be no uuid allocated to the server so it is imp to make sure that all pools have sufficient free resources.

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card