Views
Helpful
Replies

Encrypted ports in 6120XP

manny0606
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to Cisco UCS, I am currently studying the hardware isntallation guide of Cisco UCS Fabric interconnect 6100 series in the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/switch/install/ucs6100_install/overview.html#wp1226823

The following is mentioned in the guide.

Cisco UCS 6120XP

There are 20 to 28 ports on the Cisco UCS 6120XP, depending on which expansion module is installed. The fixed ports form group 1 and are named 1/port_number. Ports 1 through 20 are unencrypted Ethernet ports. Of these, ports 1 through 8 are 10-Gigabit Ethernet and 1-Gigabit Ethernet-capable ports. Group 2 includes the ports in the expansion module or modules. Group 2 ports 1 through 4 are Ethernet ports. Group 2 ports 5 through 8 are Fibre Channel ports.

There are are totally 20 ports in the FI, here it is mentioned as ports 1 through 8 as 10Gig ports, I would like to know what about the remaining 12 ports.? what is the speed of these ports.

Also I want to know what is the difference between an Encrypted Ethernet port and an Unencrypted Ethernet port.

Appreciate your time.

Thanks,

Manny.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Manny!  Welcome to UCS :)

First, you're looking at some outdated hardware.  The 6100s were first gen and have been end-of-sale for a couple years now.  You should be looking at the 6200s instead (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/6200-install-guide/6200_HIG.html)

To answer your question, the 6100s supported 1/10gig on the first 8 ports, but the last 12 ports were strictly 10gig.  This is no longer the case on 6200s, which are all 1/10gig-capable.  I believe the unencrypted comment is related to a lack of MACsec, which is hardware-based L2 encryption between endpoints.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Manny!  Welcome to UCS :)

First, you're looking at some outdated hardware.  The 6100s were first gen and have been end-of-sale for a couple years now.  You should be looking at the 6200s instead (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/6200-install-guide/6200_HIG.html)

To answer your question, the 6100s supported 1/10gig on the first 8 ports, but the last 12 ports were strictly 10gig.  This is no longer the case on 6200s, which are all 1/10gig-capable.  I believe the unencrypted comment is related to a lack of MACsec, which is hardware-based L2 encryption between endpoints.

manny0606
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

Now, I have downloaded the 6200 install guide. :)

Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card