Views
Helpful
Replies

ESXi upgrade to 6 UCS C220 M3

conie saga
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My client recently purchased UCS C220 M3 which comes with pre-installed esxi 5.1.

Customer wants to upgrade esxi to latest ver 6.x.

I checked with VMWare and they confirmed upgrade esxi from 5.x to 6.x requires license and we are not eligible to get free upgrade license.

However the UCS server is under Cisco support contract.

Can we get esxi 6.x from Cisco side as UCS is under support contract ?

8 Replies 8

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

You need to contact your Cisco Sales guy to answer that.

-Kenny

Thank you for reply,

For my understanding only, how does UCS & VMWare licensing work?

Is there any option available to select VMWare esxi version (or buy upgrade support) during placing order from cisco.com ?

I know some customers get Vmware support through Cisco, but you gotta pay for it, is not that it is free... it is actually an specific type of contract, that's why I was saying your Cisco Sales guy can help you with that.

-Kenny

Thank Keny for description.

Sure, no problem.

Don't forget to rate helpful answers and get back with feedback when you have an answer so we can mark it as such for future users with the same question.

-Kenny

Hi Keny Perez, I am also facing the same problem..

Customer has upgraded UCS ESXi from 5 to 6 version and the demo license is going to expire tomorrow..

I have two question here..

1. Side effect of this expiry:- Will it impact anything, Currently customer is running his IPT infra on that UCS.

2. Part code of the upgrade, Can you share me the detail of this.

Best Regards

anil Singh

Greetings.

You will want to get with your Cisco Account team in regards to getting an upgraded 6.0 license key.

Once the ESXi trial license has expired, your GuestVMs will not start up, so it is pretty important that you get a valid license generated.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Thanks Kirk for your feedback..

Got feedback from Cisco licensing team..

we need to order software support contract for that hardware in order to get software upgrade entitlement for this hardware..

for example:-

• BE6000 with SWSS on R-CBE6K-K9 app/user licensing
  • BE6000 with SWSS on a-la-carte app/user licensing
  • BE7000 with SWSS on VMW-VS5-HYP-USEL

…otherwise plug SWSS contract # into PUT Advanced Mode, look for R-VS6-*** upgrade SKU”

after ordering correct SWSS contract order, we need to apply the upgrade license via Cisco PUT tool

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: