Views
Helpful
Replies

F8 CIMC Screen - Keyboard Not Working

Machroxz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Have you guys experienced after pressing F8 and going to CIMC screen, the keyboard stops responding so I can't navigate to the option to change the default password to CIMC.

Can someone please share your experience and if you did and finally get it to work?

Thanks,

Ron

5 Replies 5

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only time I have seen this issue is due to something with the USB keyboard. Have you tried multiple and all show the same behavior?

Hi Wes,

Yes and it’s so annoying. I even tried using a wireless keyboard with a dongle attached to a usb and still the same result. What’s weird is I know the keyboard work because it triggers the CIMC screen when I press F8. At this point, I’m running out of options or it could be a bad motherboard.

Thanks again.

Ronel

Since [F8] work to get into BIOS I highly doubt this is faulty hardware.

Did you try the back USB and front/dongle USB?

Like Wes was alluding to could be a BIOS setting which disables USB for "security".

Try to clear CMOS to see if that will allow the USB keyboard to function within the BIOS.

Hi Steve,

If you mean setting the CMOS values to default, I've already tried it. I spoke to one of the Cisco agents and they want me to do a hardware CIMC reset which I'm not familiar with how to do on a Cisco 2921 router, but I think that is the only other option I have. 

Thanks,

Ronel

If this is a new UCS-E series module in your router, it should be configured for DHCP by default. You should be able to plugin to the MGMT port, pull an IP via DHCP, login through web browser and adjust whatever is necessary if you cant get past F8. This does not solve your problem, but provides an alternative workaround.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card