Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric Interconnect as FC switch

jgrinwis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

can we use a 6120 Interconnect as a FC switch, so do the usual FC zoning stuff and directly connect some FC storage to the FC expansion ports, or do we need to run the interconnect in NPV mode and connect it to a NPIV capable switch.

Regards,

John

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

adambaum1
Level 1
Level 1

If memory serves me correctly, you will need to use NPV.  Direct attach storage support is coming in v1.4, which is due to be released in January.

adam

View solution in original post

Geordie Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Adam's correct.  6100 series interconnects must be connected to a fabric switch at least for now.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

adambaum1
Level 1
Level 1

If memory serves me correctly, you will need to use NPV.  Direct attach storage support is coming in v1.4, which is due to be released in January.

adam

Geordie Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Adam's correct.  6100 series interconnects must be connected to a fabric switch at least for now.

And what about storage arrays that have FCoE adapters, can we already connect them direct to the Interconnect.

Regards,

John

Direct attach FCoE support as well as direct attach storage appliance ports will be available in the next release.

Here's a peak of the new port configuration types being added in 1.4

Regards,

Robert

Thanx for the screenshot, we can we expect this new version.

Regards,

John

UCS 1.4.1 was just released today.   The full bundle has been broken down into Infrastructure, B-Series, C-Series and a Capability Catalogue.  Users will need to download at minimum the Infrastructure, B-Series, and Capability Catalogue.  If you plan on integrating the C-Series grab that one also.

Regards,

Robert

excellent, but what about SAN connectivity, it still looks I need an extra san switch to setup zoning:

Limited Direct Connect FC Storage

FibreChannel  storage can now be directly connected to the UCS 6100 with default zone  policy (No zone configuration allowed in the 6100 but can be inherited  from an upstream MDS switch).

Regards,

John

John,

You do not need a SAN switch when using the Interconnect in FC Switching mode.  You can simply directly connect your SAN array, assign the port to a VSAN, and that's it.  All ports will be a "default zone" created by the FI.  In subequent releases we'll be adding full on Fabric services including exhanced zoning etc.

In this mode because there is no zoning you will need to rely on LUN masking for access restriction.

Regards,

Robert

When I attach the storage directly to the FI: is the storage still available for other hosts than UCS? So for example the FI is connect to a Nexus 5000 and attached to the N5K is a ESX host. Can this ESX host connect (ethernet, FC) through de N5K to the FI to the storage?

Or becomes the storage dedicated for UCS?

No, the point of "direct attach storage" is to provide a Storage Array port with direct access to the Interconnect.  This feature is not intended make storage available to non-UCS devices.  This is because the FI's aren't running full fabric services.  They're running a toned down version which is just enough to allow directly connected arrays the ability to serve storage to UCS connected blades & rack servers.

Regards,

Robert

harmdehaan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanx Robert for your quick response.

And what about de direct connection of UCS-C on the FI? I think they are able to use the storage that is directly attached to the FI?

They're running a toned down version which is just enough to allow 
directly connected arrays the ability to serve storage to UCS connected 
blades & rack servers.

Correct.

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: