cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fan module failures in chassis

russ.givens
Level 1
Level 1

I have two chassis almost fully populated with B200M2 blades with the cahssis cabled up to 2 6120xp fabric interconnects.  I'm continually getting Fan Modules in both chassis's saying that they are degraded because a fan is inoperable.  This happens about 20 times a day.  They clear themselves almost immediately, but I'm wondering why this is occurring.  If it was normal operation for the fans to stop working than these shouldn't be faults.  Has anybody else experienced this?

7 Replies 7

Mathew Lewit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you please let me know what version of firmware you are currently running?

1.4(1j)

Should have added that to begin with.

Thanks

We've been seeing the same thing also on 1.4(1j).

On an unrelated TAC call the engineer noticed this and mentioned that there's a bug for that. Unconfirmed.

Will be hard to diagnose without tech-support files, but the defect they are probably referring to is this one.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtl43716

There are some workarounds for this in the defect description. 

There are also still working to fix this defect in 1.4.

It looks like this has been addressed in 1.4(2b)

Fans operating normally or at maximum speed no longer falsely show up in UCS Manager as inoperable. (CSCtl43716)

The maintenance release is supposed to have a lot of fixes related to the fan issues we were seeing in the previous release.

Great!  We are still dealing with that issue in one of our UCS domains.  Fan module reseat fixed the issue for about two weeks but then it came back again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card