cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Favorite UCS Capability

chhuston
Level 4
Level 4

What's your favorite UCS capability and why?

2 Replies 2

scotthan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Service Profiles for the WIN!

I worked at IBM for quite a while, some other places too - slinging sandwiches and what not ... but part of my stint at IBM was designing and building large scale linux clusters. When you are talking 1,000s of nodes, there is not even an argument about how you are going to manage them. It was always stateless. PXE boot the servers from some head nodes at the top of each rack, with those head nodes being managed by an uber-master at the top.

When I first saw UCS and had it thoroughly explained to me, it was easy to see why this was the future of x86.

Ask anyone, I always say, "I've never had to press F1 and go into the BIOS of a UCS server. It's all done as a policy in the Service Profile... and if I EVER have to press F1 to go into the BIOS again EVER, EVER ,EVER, I will quit and open a bed and breakfast and be done with all of this."

dantkowi
Level 1
Level 1

Hierarchical Sepration for Physical Compute

Hierarchical format for distributing and manager compute resources. I love the fact that we can create a suborg for a specific purpose and then control/lockdown this use based on this hierarchy. With UCS Central we can have global secure separation at the compute layer. It's great having a physical compute platform give me the options to separation usage based on a global tree structure that can be tied to an existing directory service.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card