cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FC switch mode change

Todd Volz
Level 1
Level 1

Last night I migrated one of our UCS Fabric Interconnects clusters to FC switch mode.  While the primary Interconnect was rebooting the secondary FI also started the reboot which took all B-Series blades in the two chassis offline.

We are running UCS Manager 2.0(3b) on 6120s.

Has anyone else had this type of impact during the change from FC end host mode to switching mode?

I ask because we have one more UCS cluster running the same software version and I would like to know if I should expect the same type of impact or not.

-Todd

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is expected.

You can't have one FI running a different switch mode (Eth or FC).  Once you make a change they will both reboot and enable the new mode in tandem.

Changing switching modes is normally done during install and isn't a regular task, but changing it will incurr downtime.

Regards,

Robert

Not quite the answer I was hoping for but atleast it tells me what I need to plan for.

Hi,

Changing FC mode can be done in UCSM only and whic is common and on top of both FI. So, it is normal behavor only.

Ram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card