Views
Helpful
Replies

FCoE Storage Ports & FC end-host mode

Dominic Foley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just upgraded my UCS to v 1.4(1j) and now I want to directly connect my fabric interconnects into my NetApp filer using FCoE.  When I try to make a port on the FIC an 'FCoE Storage Port', it gives me an error saying it is an invalid configuration in end-host mode - this makes sense of course, as EHM basically means you need an intermediary switch between FIC and storage.

My challenge (as v1.4 was nly released this month) is trying to work out how to put UCS into 'FC switching mode', whilst keeping the ethernet side of things as 'end-host'.  Am I talking rubbish?  Is this possible?

If anyone has done this, please share your wisdom!

Many thanks

Dominic

5 Replies 5

Manish Tandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dominic

Yes it is possible. The Ethernet switching and the FC switching modes are independent of each other.

You can continue with EHM on the Ethernet side while move to FC switching from the current NPV mode.

Please follow the guide for 1.4 which talks abt how to configure FC switching mode.

It require a reboot of the FI's (prompts you with a warning to acknowledge) for the change to come into effect.

Thanks

--Manish

Thanks Manish.  I've trawled through the 1.4 guides and can find various references to 'end-host' and

'switch-mode' but nothing on how to actually change it.  Would you be able to point me in the direction of where exactly in the guide it talks about changing mode (or perhaps I am looking at the wrong guide?).

Many Thanks

Dominic

Okay, I've found it now - for some reason it was hiding and I couldn't see it!

In UCS manager, go to Equipment -> Fabric Interconnects -> Fabric Interconnect A (or B)

In the work pane, click on 'General' and scroll to the bottom.

Here you can set FC switching mode.

The gotcha is, if you just right-click on the Fabric-interconnect, like I was doing, you only get the option to 'Set Ethernet Switching Mode' !!

In the work pane you get more options.  It's like the old saying, the best place to hide something is in plane view!!!

Be aware, the FIC's will reboot if you change mode.

Cheers

Dom

Manish,

related question - what happens if you want to have FCoE storage ports AND the native FC expansion module ?

eg - FCoE direct to the disk array to allow blades to get SAN access using FC switching mode, but also NPV/end-host mode to allow a native FC connection to tape libraries, legacy FC SANs, etc.

is this possible at all ?

thanks in advance.

Direct Connecting tape libraries is not currently supported. Furthermore, you can have direct connect FCoE storage ports (which use Ethernet ports in end Host mode) and still have native Fiber Channel operation of FC EHM also (NPV).

As Manish pointed out, Ethnernet Switch modes are independent of the FC switching mode.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card