cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FI 6120XP - License Question

aluciani
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 6120XP fabric interconnects and am licensed for 10 ports.  The majority of these ports are 1Gb

I am moving to 10Gb and going to plug in two more connections. 

That would mean I am using 12 ports, but once the 10Gb are connected I plan on shutting down the 8 1Gb ports I have connected.

Would I be out of license compliance or within my allowed range?

Thanks for any info and hope the above made some sense.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hello Angelo,

Out of the 20 ports in the 6120, 8 are licensed by default, I imagined you licensed other 2 ports. The ports licensed by default are the first 8, all additional ports require a license and a software license is required for each and every 10 GbE port

Even if you shut down the ports you will be out of range and you will need license for any port un-lincensed.

In the other hand, while having those ports un-licensed, they will enter in the 120-days grace period. The grace period is individual to each port, so using one port without a license does NOT triger the grace period on any other one.

I take advantage to promote this other document from the community that talks a little about the same and at the bottom mentions something similar to what I am saying and gives some extra info:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5950

If this helps somehow, please rate it.

-Kenny

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hello Angelo,

Out of the 20 ports in the 6120, 8 are licensed by default, I imagined you licensed other 2 ports. The ports licensed by default are the first 8, all additional ports require a license and a software license is required for each and every 10 GbE port

Even if you shut down the ports you will be out of range and you will need license for any port un-lincensed.

In the other hand, while having those ports un-licensed, they will enter in the 120-days grace period. The grace period is individual to each port, so using one port without a license does NOT triger the grace period on any other one.

I take advantage to promote this other document from the community that talks a little about the same and at the bottom mentions something similar to what I am saying and gives some extra info:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5950

If this helps somehow, please rate it.

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card