cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find MAC address for lost VMs

dylan.ebner
Level 1
Level 1

This may not be possible, but here's hoping.

My VMware environment is 100% Cisco UCS B servers. I had an incident recently where our ESXi host servers became disconnected from our vCenter Server. Now per VMware support we need to shutdown the guest VMs and then reboot the hosts. The problem is, we don't know which VMs are running on which host because of DRS. To make matters worse, SSH and the console are diabled on the ESXi hosts so we can't log into them and check and we can't use vmfstools to find the lock holder either.

Years ago before UCS when our ESX hosts were directly connected to our switches we had a similar issue and we found  the ESX host of the vms by doing a dump of MAC addresses on our switches. Can this be done on the FICs? 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi BB-

The FIC is the layer 2 device and I was looking for the command to get the MAC address table out of the FICs. I found it by connecting to the local-mgmt of the FIC and then I could run a show mac-address-table.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FIC Still connected to Layer 2 Device you have MAC Address populated, which associated on your Layer 2 device.

So get IP arp where Layer 3 configured based on the VLAN, Get MAC Address from Layer 2 device, and compare.

so you have all the databases.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB-

The FIC is the layer 2 device and I was looking for the command to get the MAC address table out of the FICs. I found it by connecting to the local-mgmt of the FIC and then I could run a show mac-address-table.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card