Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexflash Controller is in a unhealthy state after firmware upgrade

Jason Flory
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone

I am getting an error stating our flexflash is unhealthy after firmware upgrade.  Says it is running old firmware.  I did not even know we had flexflash on our systems and do not see away to upgrade the firmware.  I read that you are supposed to see this in the storage tab but do not see this .  How do i resolve this error?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnd0e88
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the same thing after upgrading to 2.2(5a) from 2.2(3e). 

Everything went fine but that. It was minor. 

The only thing I could do to fix it was, decom the blade, pull it out, put it back in, and re-ack the server. Then it went away. 

(We use the FlexFlash and it did not cause any problems before or after the warning). You can try resetting the FlexFlash controller, but I don't think that'll work for this particular minor warning.

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

johnd0e88
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the same thing after upgrading to 2.2(5a) from 2.2(3e). 

Everything went fine but that. It was minor. 

The only thing I could do to fix it was, decom the blade, pull it out, put it back in, and re-ack the server. Then it went away. 

(We use the FlexFlash and it did not cause any problems before or after the warning). You can try resetting the FlexFlash controller, but I don't think that'll work for this particular minor warning.

Also having this problem, going to try decom, pull, put back in, re-ack in the morning.

I did a decom and then a re-ack and this evening and that by itself didn't resolve the issue.

Yep, tried that as well (first). The only way was to pull it out completely and put it back in - very weird.

Confirmed, reseating this morning resolved my issue. Thanks!

Decommissioning and reseating the blade resolved my issue as well.

Saurabh Kothari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jason,

are you using flexflash for storage pupose? from your description it doesnt seem so.

please reset the FlexFlash Controller to clear the message.

1.  Log into the UCSM
  2.  Select the Server in the Navigation Pane
  3.  Select Storage Tab in the viewing pane
  4.  Then select Controller
  5.  In the viewing pane, you may see a reset FlexFlash controller link.
  6.  Reset the FlexFlash controller

Regards,
-Saurabh

That did it!

Thanks, was really confusing could I knew we were not using flex cache.  A lot docs say to go to the storage tab and look there but as you said it is storage tab on the actual server.  I guess the controller is there even if you do not have flex cache cards.

Thanks

Jason,

thank you.

*Please do not forget to rate all usefull posts

Saurabh,

Can we safely do this if we are using SD cards? You mentioned in your post that you didn't think Jason was using FlexFlash so I'm not sure if that played into your recommendation to reset the FlexFlash controller.

As John said, I would be scared to try it as I wouldn't want to wipe ESXi off my SD cards.

Yes I do not have any flex cache so resetting flex controller was not an issue.  I would assume if you are using the flex cache for OS or data that a good possibility it was cause some issue.

Ah, nice. I didn't want to try that as I didn't want to wipe ESXi off my SD card.

Just a step-by-step.

Cisco UCS 5108 AC2

B200 M4 blades

Boot from SAN

Note: just updated infra and server FW to 2.2 (5b)

We don't have flash cards but the controller is there.

*** Pay attention to any pop-up warnings.

*** Expand FlexFlash Cards to verify if you do or don't have any cards installed and make sure you are aware of how each server/blade boots if it does have cards.

In our case this was non-disruptive since we boot from SAN.  Understand your case first.  

Take a look at "Configure and Use Cisco FlexFlash Secure Digital Cards on Cisco UCS Servers" white paper. 

Equipment tab, Chassis, Chassis x, Servers, Server x, Inventory, Storage, scroll down to FlexFlash Controller x, *** Reset FlexFlash Controller

The reset of the FlexFlash controller addressed my issue.

CSCut10525 - FlexFlash FFCH_ERROR_OLD_FIRMWARE_RUNNING error on B200 M4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: